Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Increase number of rings before going to voicemail ON TRADITIONAL LANDLINE (not U-Verse Phone)

Tutor

Increase number of rings before going to voicemail ON TRADITIONAL LANDLINE (not U-Verse Phone)

I have a traditional non-Uverse non-Internet landline.  I have voicemail on that line.  Right now, it picks up too quickly.  I want to increase the number of rings before it picks up.  There are NO accessible instructions about how to do this on the AT&T website.  An AT&T "chat" advisor gave me a number to call.  After being told my "expected hold time is less than one minute" I was kept on hold for literally over a full hour before I gave up.  Please help!  And, again, before directing me to some "article" or "instructions" - please pay attention to this: I AM TALKING ABOUT A NON-UVERSE NON-INTERNET OLD-SCHOOL LANDLINE.  So please do not refer me to U-Verse voicemail instructions because they do not apply!  Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Master

Re: Increase number of rings before going to voicemail ON TRADITIONAL LANDLINE (not U-Verse Phone)

Dial into the voicemail *98 and follow the prompts. See this topic

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Tutor

Re: Increase number of rings before going to voicemail ON TRADITIONAL LANDLINE (not U-Verse Phone)

There are no prompts regarding increasing the number of rings before voicemail picks up. 

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Master

Can you tell us what prompts you hear after dialing *98?  

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Tutor

I’ve explored the menu fully, including “Administrative Options” and there are no prompts regarding setting the number of rings before the voicemail picks up.

Message 5 of 7
ACE - Master

If you dial the voicemail access code for residential traditional landline and the prompts don't get you to where you set the number of rings before voicemail answers you have no choice but to work with AT&T's tech support.  Note that some features vary some in different locations, but if you're getting to the prompts there's not much more you can do. 

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎11-08-2019 10:19 AM

This is all that I can find on setting up a traditional landlines voicemail, after set up the prompts should all be available.

From your phone

1. Do one of the following:
    • Push *98 from your home phone.
    • Enter your home phone number or access number listed in your welcome letter.
  2. Choose a Personal Identification Number (PIN) between 6 and 10 digits long.
    • Enter your PIN followed by the # sign.
    • Re-enter your PIN followed by the # sign.
  3. Follow the instructions to set up your 8-digit authentication code. This code can be used if you forget your PIN or need to reset it.
  4. When prompted, say your name after the tone and press #.
    • If you're happy with the recording, press 1.
    • To record again, press 2.
  5. Follow the prompts to record a personal greeting or to use a pre-recorded system greeting. 
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Thanksgifting! Get a PopSocket stocking stuffer on us* - Learn How
Additional Support