DCRamsey's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 9th, 2013 5:47 PM

Closed

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease. I had this same problem last night.

I went to AT&T's website to troubleshoot the problem. While there, I automatically restarted the U-verse Gateway device several times but to no avail. I made one more try at troubleshooting the problem today but I'm still having the same problem.  Please help me resolve this issue. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Okay, I finally found the manual.  Here's how you do it:

SETTING THE DIALING MODE

This adjustment allows you to select tone (touch-tone) or pulse (rotary) dialing.

1. Press the options button until SET ^ (up) or v (down) appears

2. Press the review up button until T/P DIAL MODE appears in the display.

3. Press the options button to show the current dial mode. The default is set to tone.

4. To change the dialing mode, press review up or down. The display will alternate

between the two dialing modes.

5. Press the options button to store the dialing mode and return to the T/P DIAL

MODE display.

Exiting set up mode:

To immediately exit the setup mode after your changes have been made, select the

EXIT SETUP menu and press the options button.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

6 years ago

If you can't break dial tone and the dial pad is good than it more than likely is a polarity issue and reversing the leads will fix it on a traditional landline, not sure about VOIP service, but it probably will.  If it doesn't you could see if you can find a polarity guard, I don't think they make them anymore, but you can probably find them on ebay if they don't. 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

When you dial to you hear touch tones when you press each number?  If you hear dail pulses (like a rotory dial phone) it won't work.  Some phones have a switch that changes the mode for the dial pad from tone to pulse.  Make sure your on tone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

No, I'm getting dial pulses, and this is a touch tone phone. I see only one button in the phone cradle and it can be pointed to a big bell, a small bell or an X.

On the U-verse device, these lights are on: POWER, ETHERNET, PHONE 1, BROADBAND, & SERVICE. There is no green light on near: WIRELESS, PHONE 2, & USB.

I can understand why there is no light on near WIRELESS, that's because the phone I'm using is not wireless. But what about PHONE 2, & USB?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

DCRamsey - What BeeBeeSA says is the most likely problem. But, you do not say if it ever worked. If it used to work & the phone is the same, it is very easy to have inadvertently moved that pulse/tone button. If your service is new - you need a tone phone - no rotary dial & no pulse settings. Another possibility is if you have an att phone. Check out these links -
http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Incompatible-quot-AT-amp-T-quot-phone-with-Uverse-Voice/m-p/3271131#M4133

http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Incompatible-quot-AT-amp-T-quot-phone-with-Uverse-Voice/m-p/3275141#M4169

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

DCRamsey- What is make/model of phone??

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

It's a General Electric phone. It's from Atlinks USA, Inc. The model number is: 29195GE1-A

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

DCRamsey Searching the web - a table indicates that tone/pulse is an option for your phone, but I cannot find a manual that tells how to set it. Do you have a manual somewhere? Is there a menu button? If you do not see a slide switch it must use regular dial buttons for setting options. I will look again for a users manual.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

DCRamsey - I did not yet find a manual, but I did find a work around that you can try. It sounds like it would apply to all phones. It is a feature for people who have pulse service & they want to enter tone to the called number. It says if you press the asterisk button it will temporarily convert the phone to tone. When you hangup it goes back to pulse. You may need to pull the plug from the jack (so that the asterisk push does not go to U-verse) hit the asterisk - replace plug - dial the number. Please try this at least once to verify that the pulse setting is the problem.

I suppose the problem could be that the tone generator has gone off frequency.

The doc that described the asterisk feature said the pulse/tone setting was a slide switch. You have said you do not have one. Can you look under a face plate or battery cover - anything that you can open??

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Way to go BeeBee!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.