Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

Contributor

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease. I had this same problem last night.

I went to AT&T's website to troubleshoot the problem. While there, I automatically restarted the U-verse Gateway device several times but to no avail. I made one more try at troubleshooting the problem today but I'm still having the same problem.  Please help me resolve this issue. 

Message 1 of 26
Contributor

Re: I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

I have an ancient Bell Atlantic wall phone that also would have a dial tone but could not dial for a number of years. The phone has no tone mode nor menus etc. A newer phone worked on that wall outlet. I found a solution on the web which suggested reversing the polarity of the wiring. Sure enough that worked. 

Message 16 of 26
ACE - Master

Do you hear the tones when dialing?  Since you've changed phones try resetting your modem if you're using u verse.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 26
Highlighted
Contributor

ON THE VTECH CS6649 ... you have to

1 - Menu Select

2 - prss up/down arrows till you get to SETTINGS (6x on down arrow)

3 - Then press MENU SELECT AGAIN to choose SETTINGS

4 - then up/down arrows again till you to DIAL MODE

5 - then press MENU SLECT ANOTHER TIME to select DIAL MODE

6 - then up/down arrows again to choose whether PULSE or DIAL TONE

7 - then just Wait !!! and you'll hear a sound like R2-D2 from Star Wars and you'll know your selection is taken

By the way ... I HAD to select PULSE in order to get the ever-present dial tone to go away AND to be able to actually make & receive calls !  REALLY DO NOT CARE FOR THIS PHONE

Message 18 of 26
Teacher

thanx a lot !!

Message 19 of 26
Contributor

Has anyone here found a solution?

My home is wired with the reverse polarity, but no matter what I do (I've tried swapping the red and green wires) I have the same problem. Dial tone is present, I can hear myself dial numbers, but the dial tons never goes away. Halp!
Message 20 of 26
Contributor

I am looking for a solution to this problem, too.  I have Western Electric Trimline from the 80's that I bought on Etsy....They said it was working when it was disconnected, but it doesn't work in my house.  I am hooking it up thru an Ooma voip...other older touch tone phones work, but this one does not.  Did you find a solution for this?  I am thinking of opening the base and reversing the RED and Green wires to reverse the polarity.  If you have any input, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks, B

Message 21 of 26
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎05-23-2018 12:31 PM

If you can't break dial tone and the dial pad is good than it more than likely is a polarity issue and reversing the leads will fix it on a traditional landline, not sure about VOIP service, but it probably will.  If it doesn't you could see if you can find a polarity guard, I don't think they make them anymore, but you can probably find them on ebay if they don't. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 22 of 26
Contributor

I get a beep,beep,beep, then a dial tone, but cannot dial out on any phone in the house.  Model: CL 2909

Message 23 of 26
ACE - Master

The beeping means you have a voicemail message.  If you're using U-verse try resetting (powering down) the modem.  If not U-verse follow the other suggestions in this thread.

Message 24 of 26
Contributor

I have activated my phone but I don’t have any internet access while I’m away from home 

Message 25 of 26
ACE - Master

@Asimp36 It doesn't sound like you're taking about landline service, traditional or u-verse.  What service are you talking about?

Message 26 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Available Now: A limited-edition wireless charger, inspired by the hit HBO series Game of Thrones™!
Additional Support