Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How come I can't receive collect calls from AT&T , when I could before I left (TIME WARNER CABLE

Contributor

How come I can't receive collect calls from AT&T , when I could before I left (TIME WARNER CABLE

I have been an AT&T customer for over 2.5 yrs. My son went to JAIL today (01-07-16) for me to find out "I COULDN'T ACCEPT COLLECT CALLS"!!!!!!!!!!!! The reason I know this is he called my husband & I "COLLECT" ON OUR CELL PHONE from AT&T! at the beginning of the call the recording ask us,"WILL YOU ACCEPT A COLLECT CALL FROM THE LOUISVILLE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, for $9.99 FOR 10 MINUTES, AND TAXES & SURCHARGES WHERE THEY MAY APPLY!" After we call U-VERSE VOICE, and complain about the problem with our phone we then, couldn't take a collect call on our CELL PHONES; WE NOW HAVE TO CALL THE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY & PAY MONEY UP FRONT ON A PREPAID ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This service could take up to 24 hrs to clear from our debit account! Why were we not told this up front we we purchased AT&T services!!!!!!! I mean after all THEY ARE A TELEPHONE COMPANY, AREN'T THEY???????? Collect Calls have been around since the" Begining of Telephone Service" HAVEN'T THEY?????????? AFTER ALL THE JAIL IS ONLY 10 MINUTES DOWNTOWN FROM MY HOME! I have 6 Cell Phone,U-Verse,BY-BY $700.00 A MONTH ON ALL YOUR SERVICES; HELLO AGAIN,OLD FRIEND  "TIME WARNER CABLE";I need a REAL company that can handle EVEN THE MOST BASIC SERVICES!! Did you AT&T CUSTOMERS KNOW THIS!!!!My son will be out before we can put money on the phone account!!! I'M SO MAD I COULD SPIT NAILS, THEY DIDN'T ASK TO PUT A BLOCK ON MY PHONELINE I HAD BEFORE THEY WERE EVEN THOUGHT OF USING!!!!! OH,BY THE WAY MY UNCLE LIVES THE NEXT BLOCK OVER AND ONLY HAS AT&T LANDLINE SERVICE & CAN ACCEPT COLLECT CALLS; IS THIS NOT A DOUBLE STANDARD!!CONTACT ME

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: How come I can't receive collect calls from AT&T , when I could before I left (TIME WARNER

It is very clear in the service description that you cannot accept operator assisted calls on U-verse Voice.  That is like most other VOIP services.  Don't expect anyone to list all of the potential disadvantages of a product or service that may or may not apply to you when selling it to you unless those are major or unusual.

It didn't bother you for 2.5 years.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Scholar
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by ms_unicorn
‎01-08-2016 6:23 AM

Re: How come I can't receive collect calls from AT&T , when I could before I left (TIME WARNER

U-verse Voice phone service cannot place or accept collect calls. Third-party, operator assisted calls are not supported. However, AT&T Prepaid Phone Cards can be purchased via the AT&T Prepaid Cards Web site.

Customers can make operator-assisted calls. Customers can also make collect calls by dialing a toll-free service such as 1-800-COLLECT (800-265-5328), but if the collect call is to a U-verse Voice TN, it cannot be completed.

Marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution" will help other people find solutions faster.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 8
Professor

Prison and jail calls are a trickly lot anyways.

Most people that an inmate is allowed to make calls TOO, typically have to be approved in advance of the call, before it can even be made.

In NO case can they call a cell phone. That is hard wired into the system. Can't be fixed or bypassed.

And, of course, there is no facility for calling the inmate.

Most facilties do have methods in place, you can make non-contact visits, and of course, letters.

Jail is hard and harsh, on purpose. That includes the family, in addition to the inmate.

You have my sympathies, honest.

Jail house phone calls are serviced thru a company independant of any and all other phone companies. Your local phone company has no control over it, nor any reason they would even consider it.

Again, my condolences. At least, you have the option of a pre paid card.. when my family member was locked up, we did not have that option.

Message 4 of 8
Contributor

How do the prepaid cards work? Can the inmate call a cell phone if the cell phone user has a prepaid card?
Message 5 of 8
Professor

@Liss05 wrote:
How do the prepaid cards work? Can the inmate call a cell phone if the cell phone user has a prepaid card?

According to the previous posts in this thread, the short answer is, no. You can not make a call to a cell phone, period.

No exceptions, no way around it, just a simple no.

sorry, but sometimes, honest answers are not the ones we want to hear.

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

If you have a prepaid account with the jail or prison, the inmate can call your cell. When you set up the account it will ask what number you want the inmate to use, just put in the cell. I've done it twice and so have family members.
Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

I know someone else who's done it to cell phones too.

Of course, every state/county/(city) may have different rules.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support