ctoys's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 6:40 PM

Help Me Debug UVerse Phone Issue

I've had repetitive issues with my voice over U-Verse phone line, that has resulted in either a really static filled line, no dial tone, no sound at all or echoing.   Rebooting the RG is no longer helpful, but has on a couple of attempts resulted in a solid dial tone and ability to call out but it doesn't last long before there are issues again.   

My question is how to I test directly from the Gateway?   As so as I remove the wire split into two wires into Phone and two wires inot Line 1 then the Broadband light goes red.   I tried plugging my landline phone into the "Phone" port on the back of the Gateway but then the Broadband goes red and the Phone light that was green goes dark and no sound at all.  

Not sure why the phone line going to the back of the Gateway is split two wires into one port and two wires into Line 1?   From the Gateway, the wire runs to a juntion box (but is joined by a line from the alarm system), I can plug the phone into the juntion box before all the lines split into various places including the alarm system but still no dial tome.   Is there an outside test port or only the Gateway?   If so, why doesn't my phone work in the Gateway?   I've tried different phones including an older style phone but none worked for more than a few minutes.

Anyone have ideas how to prove it is a Gateway issue?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

ctoys - I think if it was me I would call in to give att an opportunity to remote test it. They may find the problem upstream or ship you a new RG.

If you call for POTS repair it initiates an auto-test & can trouble ticket a CO or out side tech if necessary. At least, it IDs outside or inside.

For your question of responsibility - I believe phone responsibility goes to the phone jack on the RG. As, long as the phone and short wire are good, the phone is att responsibility. While inside wire is your responsibility, if there was an inside wire problem it would affect your other services the same or possible worse.

It is probably good for troubleshooting that it it in total failure. But, it is important to give them the opportunity to test remotely. They may decide to ship you a new RG or fix it upstream. Don't focus on a tech visit.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

ctoys - If you have a connection in the phone jack on the modem you have U-verse voice. If the phone ypu are using is wired standard - The line is on the two inside prongs. You should get dial tone when inserted in that jack. If not there is a problem with the RG.

THe reason the wall jack has two feeds is one pair feeds the modem & the second takes dial tone from the phone jack & sends it to the rest of the house. Since the two feeds are in the same cable if they come together anywhere in the house it wil cause problems.

The pair that feeds the modem should only go from the NID to the modem.

With U-verse voice the jumper/rj-11 jack in the NID should be disconnected. If you have dial tone on that jack, you have POTS.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

After a reboot of the Residential Gateway (RG) using the TV menu troubleshooting tools, I was able to restore the dial tone.   As you noted, to test my phone directly off the RG, I simply have to plug the phone into the "Line 1" port on the back of the RG. 

Unfortunately, after a day or so the phone went back offline after hearing some static on the line.   A second reboot of teh RB with the phone plugged into Line 1 did not bring back the dial tone this time, so I will try again later.  

Looks like I need to schedule a technician to come out to the house and take a look at the Gateway.   Now the question is that where does the AT&T network end (at the RG?) and the charged for service inside lines begin?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks again, definitely not Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS), this is U-Verse Voice Over Internet Protocal (VOIP).   Replaced the Residential Gateway (RG) and it works now.   New one is black, and the inbound wire to the RG outside 2 wires of phone jack had to be separated some because the ports on the new black RG are farther apart than they were on the old RG.   Didn't know that all the broadband comes into the house over just those two copper wires into the PHONE port on the RG all the way from the neighborhood hub.   Discontined the phone from the RG and it works from anyplace in the home now.

Thanks again for the explaination!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

ctoys - Good to hear that it is now OK. I really appreciate you taking the time to say that us OK & including the details. I enjoy trouble shooting the problem posts. The only thing better is posts that say it is now good.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for posting your issue got resolved.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.