silverfox123's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 9:28 PM

Faxing with ATT uverse voip

Has anyone been able to use their fax with ATT's voip line. I have tried several times with ATT and HP. The conclusion is this is a real problem. This was not mentioned when I purchased the uverse bundle.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

I have been using my fax machine without issues, as TG suggested, check the owners manual, sometimes lowering the machine's baud rate to 9600 will help. But be advised, there are machines that are not compatible with VOIP service and that will usually be stated in the manual.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Faxing with any VOIP service can be problematic depending on the fax machine.  Review the fax machine's owner's manual to see if any settings need to be adjusted when using VOIP service.

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

13 years ago

I have a HP 6310 Officejet All-In-One and have no problems faxing with U-verse voice.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

I have pre 1990s fax maching that has worked from day 1 of having Voip service.

Scholar

• 

443 Messages

13 years ago

I haven't had any problems faxing over U-verse voice either. I also just transfered my service to Ooma and that works well with fax too (over U-verse internet)...

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

Apparently I can not fax over AT&T;s U-verse phoneline either.  However, I can fax through Magicjack connected to a computer wi-fi'ed to the residential gateway just fine.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I'm not sure I would call this solved.  Sounds more like "unsolvable" with current equipment, which is very aggravating since I was not told this upfront.  Now I have no fax capability without additional expense. Thanks a lot AT&T.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I had the same problem.  Since my desk phone (which is connected to the copier/printer/fax) worked fine, I assume the cables were plugged into the machine correctly.  I assumed the phone would not work if the cords were plugged in wrong.  Well I was wrong.  The line from my physical desk telephone should be plugged into port "2 - ext" of the copier/printer/fax and the line from the wall port should be plugged into port "1 - line" of the copier/printer/fax.  Fax works fine now, at 14400.  I would not have mixed them up on my own, so either the tech did it or he left them unplugged and I plugged them in wrong.  Since the phone line on my desk worked, I thought it was all good.  Lesson learned!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

It is so much easier to have a dedicated fax line that uses the internet. Something like Ring Central. I did not know that AT&T will support fax machines and add Voice for $15 a month. 

INSTRUCTIONS & INFO

Add a fax machine to your digital phone setup
Most commonly used fax machines are compatible with Phone service.

Set up of your fax machine will depend upon how your Phone is installed:
  • Full technician installation: With this option, the technician will ensure that all the jacks connected to your Phone line/telephone number are active in your home. You should plug your fax machine into the existing wall jack.
  • Self-installation (plug & play): With this option, your fax machine should be plugged directly into the back of the W-Fi gateway included in your self-installation kit.

Your fax machine should be located near your gateway. Consult your fax machine's user guide for instructions on how to run the phone line between your gateway, fax machine, and telephone.

If you would prefer to have a dedicated line for your fax machine, you can add an additional voice line for $15.00/month. To add an additional line, sign in to your myAT&T account and select Change Plan.

I currently use Google Voice for VOIP. For Faxes, I switched from eFax to RedFax. $3.33 month with annual pay. Includes a local number for sending and receiving faxes thru emails. I can store everything in Google Drive as well. I have my cell phone and home phone paired with Google Voice and avoid use of minutes on cell phone plan.  I'm retired and my needs for faxing and phones are minimal. Thanks to Google, my needs are met for $50 a year. Most of all thanks to AT&T for the Internet that makes all that possible and allows me to connect my TV's and computers to the www.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.