Faxing over AT&T U-verse Internet Service Phone Line

Tutor

Faxing over AT&T U-verse Internet Service Phone Line

I see this thread is aged a few months without any apparent solutions mentioned for the FAX capability on U-Verse.  I just began researching the subject (with new HP 8600 all-in one).  From what I gather here in this forum, I can connect to the VOIP line using an splitter at the exit port on the Residential Gateway.  That method however, dictates that I must manually intervene to connect that line when an incoming FAX is expected, or when I wish to send an outgoing FAX.  In the HP owner manual there is the suggestion that I might be able to purchase a distinctive ring feature from AT&T which I can program the FAX to recognize, thus enabling a constant phone line connection and no operator intervention.  Can anyone here attest to this as a viable solution to the problem?  I've not queried AT&T on chance it would be a wasted call.  I'll be happy to receive any replies to that question here on this forum first.  Thanks.

[Moved out of 2 year old thread]

Message 1 of 18
Professor

Re: Faxing over AT&T U-verse Internet Service Phone Line

I believe (not positive) that the distinctive ring feature is available with POTS only. Back when my wife worked out of the house we had a second Uverse phone line installed that was dedicated to faxing and making outgoing calls, we have since dropped the second line and just plug in the fax machine if we need it.

Message 2 of 18
Expert

jfw wrote:

I believe (not positive) that the distinctive ring feature is available with POTS only. Back when my wife worked out of the house we had a second Uverse phone line installed that was dedicated to faxing and making outgoing calls, we have since dropped the second line and just plug in the fax machine if we need it.

Thats what I do also.

Message 3 of 18
Contributor

I am a very new U~verse customer...I hope I don't sound like a ditz here...Is it to my understanding that I can't have a fax machine and the voice stuff on the same line? Or do I just need to plug in the fax whenever I need it? Or what is the deal with this?!?

Message 4 of 18
ACE - Expert

rockerkate69 - I believe fax machines were designed to share the phone line. Many have two jacks one for the line & one for a telephone.

That said, there are many opportunities for failure.

Many machines are not compatible with VOIP.

Do you want the machine to pick up if no-one answers or recognize a fax tone and auto answer.

Dose the jack you want to use for the fax have dialtone?

I am sure there are more.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 18
Contributor

I have a HP OfficeJet 8500A Premium that uses a single phone line. Was told the line would allow voice and fax with U-Verse; can no longer receives faxes with U-Verse. It used to received faxes with a regular land line. Spoke with at 8-10 people in U-Verse Tech Support. Some said the fax should work with U-Verse; others said it wouldn't. Spoke with U-Verse Technical Service and was advised the chose was either a dedicated fax line or a dedicated voice line, but U-Verse would not allow voice and fax on the same line, even with a Digital to Analog Filter. Anyone have a different experience? Any advice other than removing U-Verse from the telephone line so faxes can be received again?    

Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

Dr. Jay - Is your phone still POTS or is it U-voice (VOIP)?

If it is POTS I can see there may be a conflict with the U-verse broadband signal( or not). If there is a conflict you would have to have the POTS on one cable pait and the U_verse on another.

If you have U-voice there are acouple things you can do -

Check the FAX manual to be sure it is compatible with VOIP.

Try the fax plugged in to the RG phone jack.

When you say it cannot receive - Is that on a manual answer or auto answer? Need to find out if it is an answer problem or a carrier signal problem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 18
Contributor

Not sure what POTS means; but, U-verse is Voice Over Internet Protocol. Fax is set to automatic answer. Problem is trying to have the the U-Verse digital phone line recognize a signal that the incoming is a fax and not voice. Such works fine with a land line, a distinctive ring and/or DSL Filter. Apparently U-Verse will only allow either voice or fax, but not both on the same line. If the only resolution is manual transmission of faxes, U-Verse won't work for me.   

Message 8 of 18
Mentor

Dr. Jay,

You can google "HP Officejet 8500A fax with VOIP?" and find possible fix for your problem.HP specifically states the 8500A may not work w/VOIP. Lowering the baud rate and disabling ECM  might work. U-verse voice (VOIP) works well with my Canon MX882 AIO printer in auto recieve mode. You may just happen to have one of the devices which will not work with VOIP.

Message 9 of 18
ACE - Expert

POTS means Plain Old Telephone service - what you had before.

So, it is the auto answer that is the problem. So, you had distintive ring? aka ringmaster. Is there charge for that?

Just had a trail about that. Bottom line is - get a second U-voice line for the fax ($15). Here is post - http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Distinctive-Ring/m-p/3162737#M4643

U-voice does not have distintive ring feature. YOu can have POTS instead of u-voice (that is what I have) Compare cost of POTS/distinctive ring & 2 U-voice lines (second line is discounted.
Message 10 of 18
Contributor

Thank You for your insights. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that U-Verse won't work for me. Back to the future with POTS!!! 

Message 11 of 18
Expert

Some things from the past just work better. Smiley Very Happy  I kept my landline.

Dr. Jay wrote:

Thank You for your insights. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that U-Verse won't work for me. Back to the future with POTS!!! 

Message 12 of 18
Contributor

Hello,

I have a Uverse line and my old Panasonic fax is unable to send faxes. I tried ATT customer service but could not help me. Now, Which fax machine ( and Model number) are you using? Any tips on successful fax operation over Uverse? Thanks so much for much needed help.

ik

Message 13 of 18
Teacher

smae here we have 2 pay for 2 lines to have a fax
Message 14 of 18
Contributor

@Kafilmout:

Make sure you are using at 2-wire RJ11 cord.  If you look at the phone jack, it should only have two wires in the middle.  If it has four, you will have problems, and the fax will likely stay on in "receive" mode.

Hope this helps!

Message 15 of 18
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Have phone trouble? Don’t wait, fix it now! Check out the links below, help is just a click away. You can also search for answers using the search feature above.

Additional Support