DT8's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, May 17th, 2014 4:04 AM

Fax

How do I get my Fax (HP OfficeJet) to work? It is on the same line with a splitter as the base wireless phone. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

DT8 - If the phone works when plugged in to the wall & not works when plugged in to the modem tel jack & you are sure you are using the right jack, then you do not have u-verse voice, you have POTS.

Plug the first fax jack into the wall jack that has dial tone and the second into the telephone & see if everything works.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @DT8,

I apologize about the issues you are having with the fax machine. The fax machine should work with the U-verse voice just like it would with a landline. If it is not working that way, try removing the splitter and just do a direct connection to the wall jack to make sure there are no issues with the splitter. Also, if your fax machine does not pick up until a certain amount of rings, you may have to change the number of rings or disable the AT&T voice mail service.

To do so, you can follow the instructions on how to change the number of rings here.

-David T

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, I tried your solution of connecting directly to the wall jack for U-verse . ?Fax machine could not detect dial tone.

?
David
[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

When you plug a phone using the same connections, does it detect a dial tone? If so, then there may be an issue with the fax machine. If not, then hopefully, it's just a bad telephone wire.

-David T

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I have been using the same wire and connection as I was using when attached to the DSL modem.  With U-verse it does not work with my HP 6500APlus.  I tried connecting directly to the U-Verse wall jack and the fax machine could not detect a dial tone.  I tried reducing the Baud rate with no success. Back to the original setup: Now the fax machine says that the phone cord is connected to the port labeled "2-EXT" but it is not.  If I switch prts in the back of the fax machine, it says no dial tone.  Looking for another good idea.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @DT8 ,

It may be an issue with the fax machine not being compatible with the VOIP service. You just want to make sure by testing the connection with a phone. If you do receive a dial tone, than that is probably the case. If you do not, it may just be an issue with the phone jack, and that is something we can definitely help get fixed.

-David T

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Accept that my Fax will not work. ?However, if I disconnect the FAX line from the phone line, the telephone will not work. ?The Fax and Telephone lines are from the modem using a splitter. ?They are not in series. ?Makes no sense why the phone will not work with the fax disconnected.
Any ideas?

?
David
[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

DT8 - One thing that could be wrong is that you have the wrong splitter. You need a one line, two set splitter that connects the jack pins through from the one side to both two sides ( the same).

You may have a two line splitter that connects the inner pins to one jack & the outer pins to the inner pins on the second jack.

If you have VOIP, you should be able to plug the FAX into the tel jack on the RG. Then plug the phone into the second jack on the FAX. Both should work.

If that does not work, you need to check at the pin level for dial tone, starting at the RG jack. YOu can do this with a phone that is known to be wired correctly or a little test plug device.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

The splitter has 4 pins connected and each of the splits have 4 pins.  Still does not make sense that the phone will not work unless the fax is connected even though the fax will not work.  I will try some different configurations.  Tried to connect the phone directly to the modem, but that did not work as the phone said to check the line..

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Dumb I am... tried the different configurations with the right jack and all works including the fax.  Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.