Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Cant make phone calls

Highlighted
Tutor

Cant make phone calls

Hello, 

I had ATT installed in my office 2 months ago. I have U verse TV, internet, and phone line. 

Since yesterday we started having this problem with phone line.

It has a dial tone. Once I enter a phone #, it has a pulsating tone, that then turns into a busy tone and then hangs up. Hence I can't make phone calls. I can still receive phone calls though. 

I called ATT.Customer service suggested

1. Unplug and then plug back in the phone wire in the modem

2. Unplug the modem to turn off, restart in 10 seconds. 

3. Check the cordless phone, (same issue) 

They told me that possibly the modem has a problem and they can send me a new modem. I am not convinced if that is the problem. 

Please advise. 

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Master (ACE - Master)
Accepted by spoom2
‎11-15-2018 5:42 PM

Re: Cant make phone calls

What's meant by  pulsating tone?  Do you mean the dial tone sounds like it pulsates? Do you hear and clicks?  Can you receive calls? You also say you check cordless and the same issue. Is this a cordless system where the base unit controls the cordless phone?  If everything else is working on the modem and all the lights are correct, resetting the modem should have fixed it.  I'm thinking this is one phone system and you've accidently change it from tone to pulse dialing.  If you have a known working phone, plug it into the phone port and see if it will work if it's not a tone verses dial pulse issue.  If a know working phone doesn't work either and resetting the modem doesn't resolve it, odds are you do have a bad modem.  I'm betting on the phone got changed to dial pulse. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Tutor

Yes, the cordless phone is controlled by the base unit. I will try to see if the phone got changed to pulse dialing (not sure how to check that though). Need some help with that .

I will also try to plug another working phone set into it to see if that works.

Also this same base unit has two lines, my Line 1 has this problem, but the other line has no problem. Why is that?
Message 3 of 6
Tutor

Yes, the cordless phone is controlled by the base unit.  I will try to see if the phone got changed to pulse dialing (not sure how to check that though). Need some help with that . 

I will also try to plug another working phone set into it to see if that works. 

Also this same base unit has two lines, my Line 1 has this problem, but the other line has no problem. Why is that?

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Master

Well than that's easy enough to figure out plug line ones cord into line two and see if it works, if it does than it's the modem.  I doubt your phone can program the dialing output different on each line, but I could be wrong.  If it still doesn't work when plugged into the other line than it's your phone. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
Tutor

Hello, 

I tried to look at the tone/pulse dialing. You were right, someone must have accidentally touched the setting and it was at pulse dialing. Fixed it. Thank you so so much. 

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support