harperkc's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 15th, 2011 11:39 AM

Closed

Can call out, can't get calls in

Could Network Interface Device (outside box) fail ? We've performed inside & outside troubleshooting tests. We can make calls out, but can't reliably receive calls. We've changed batteries, phones, outlets, etc. Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

The trouble was that when we had placed an order to remove voicemail. Uverse system for this was down and voicemail not removed. When  called back the next day to report we still had voicemail, that service rep issued an order and must have been multi-tasking for someone elses order to call forward a number. Apparently our number was call forwarded to a number not in service.Also the system for voice mail programming was still down so it was not removed either. It was a mess that caused me to be on the phone for a total of 6 hours being transferred to one person after another who assured me they could help me and ended up not. Then I came to this site and was helped by AS598U who helped me right away through the online chat and fixed the problem right away. After spending hours on the phone to get my problem fixed I was very skeptical that using an online chat would help but God was watching and sent to to this fantastic tech. Sending a commendation letter today

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

Do you have POTS or VOIP (AT&T Voice)?

When it rings once, then stops... what happens on the caller's end?  Do they get transferred to voice mail?  Does it disconnect?  Does it keep ringing on their end?

What is your delay before voice mail picks up set to?

Has this ever worked?

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

What type of phone is it? When did you lasrlt receive incoming calls? Have you called #800 and reported the problem?

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

Do you have Uverse Voice?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

Others have asked you some very good questions, but I will ask you one that may have been overlooked.  How long have you have this voice service, and has it ever worked properly?

I ask, because when I first switched from POTS to U-Verse Voice, I had about a week where I could make calls, but couldn't receive them (but I could get voice mails).  Mine was due to a number portng issue where my old POTS voice number was not ported to my new U-Verse Voice line for about a week.  I could make calls just fine, but the number was still trying to ring my old (disconnected) POTS line.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

All the above posts are good/possibilities. I would like to add another possibility because it happened to me.

This applies to your in-house distribution, so it is the same for POTS or u-verse voice. If the wires get squeezed, say in a wall jack mounting, such that the insulation is broken and the wires are close together, but not touching, the phone will show no problem except when ringing. The ringing signal is sufficient to cause a short (off hook condition). So, the phone is answered before anyone in the house knows it rang. Also, it may not short every time. So, you may get a call or not.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for posting how your issue was resolved.  Glad you finally got it sorted out.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have  a Panasonic landline system I can call out. But I cannot receive calls. The phone rings once and then stops. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Have feeling my mother in laws new cordless phones sending errant *78 to the central office switch. *78 is "do not disturb" which send calls to VM if using telco VM or just to a busy signal if not using their VM.   *79 might be the release code. I may be wrong about * codes or different codes may be used in different locations. Call phone company and see if your line is call forwarded or on do not disturb.  Note: Mother in law is 92 and there is no way she did it. We had installed the phones the day before this can't be called trouble began.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

3 years ago

This topic is 9 years old, the last post prior to yours was 3 years ago.  You don't say which service she has, digital or traditional landline, you don't say what make and model of phone you put in when this problem started.  Open a new topic and provide more details.  I'm closing this old topic to posting. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.