lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Knock wrote:

I constantly receive these calls. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ATT could stop this just like the fr* e* e sftwr I use with my built in or external modem.
It's just a simple matter of how they want to program it.
I have been using this over a yr -- passing this on because its been such a help to me - just hangs up automatically - even announces call and pops up on my screen if I want.....
its phone tray -fr- *e-* e
at [ phone - tray * dot *com] phone   *tray is 1 word with no space between "phone" /* "tray"
It can block any numbers of any length, even a "1" like "unavailable 1 "
or any name or use wild-cards like: 855-432-???? or 855-???-????
or a name without a number : like "Out Of Area" "Private number" -- or or a number without a name... any length - i can customize it more in the standard excel file.
I can reverse the setting so they become a "white list" or "allow list"
or if you have a voice modem it will deliver any prerecorded message or "sound" noise from a [.wav] file
with a cheap external usb voice modem - search on-line ..
Some computers with sound cards already have modem with sound capability built in.
it is fr  *e  *

e, programmable. -block any # at one ring [that's the only drawback] since it is not at the ATT switch level.. my computer must receive the call before it is blocked -- or allowed.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am thinking this is another staple in the decisioning factor for me in deciding to retain a home phone or not.  ATT offers moderately decent support, but definately ATT falls short of offering exceptional customer service.  Their primary product ( Telephone Service ) allows entry of blocking calls, but requires a 10 digit numeric field to be entered for a phone number.  How hard would it be to code the software to give the customer an option of blocking callers with numbers that are displayed as  "not numeric",   callers with numbers that do not have a minimum of 10 digits, and obviously have a sole exclusion to 911 services.  I doubt the scammers would last long broadcasting themselves as 911 - emergency services.  All phone communicaitons can be traced by any talented, authorized,  software developer employed within ATT. If associates of ATT actually monitor the traffic of this blog, take the initiative to create a ticket, escalate this issue to level 2 support for analysis, and be sure to mark it high priority.   Dont you think it is about time that the fore-mentioned - highly talented developer steps up and creates the code that solves this issue.  Customer Retention IS top priority for all companies, and I feel it  is a pretty obvious that the group responsible to identify the customers 'needs assessment' is falling short of delivering the product that ensures customers they truly are better off with ATT.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

If it's for whatever reason not possible for a phone company to block these calls because they don't have proper call id information they instead could let you create a white list of calls that can ring through and every other call regardless of number would go to voice mail.  This way, even if you are expecting calls from someone you don't know there phone number you can still get a message from them and then in turn add them to your white list.   Currently you can have a white list go through but all other calls are blocked which isn't helpful if you still want some calls that you might not know the number for.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

This method does not work for "Unavailable 1".

AT & T needs to step up and devise a technology that keeps the people from "Unavailable 1" from annoying us. If AT & T wanted to, they could do this.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

If AT & T can do all of the wonderful things it says it can do on the commercials they put billions into, they could find a way to stop the "Unavailable 1" calls.  Instead, they enlist people like "ACE Professor" to tell us there is nothing they can do.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Check this thread: http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Blocking-Robo-Calls/td-p/3890995#.UvvKUzeYa9I  I'm not saying it's a cure all, but it might stop most.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Latest scam is to say they are from HHS...we had 5 calls in 15 minutes!

Where's the NSA when you need them?!

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

Check this thread: http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Blocking-Robo-Calls/td-p/3890995#.UvvKUzeYa9I  I'm not saying it's a cure all, but it might stop most.

Confirmed it does not stop "Unavailable 1" as I got a call yesterday.  I am going to report the number to the norobocall website and see if they can help.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Might have found a solution: I unblocked 1 on my Panasonic phone and waited for the next call (had 9 yesterday afternoon).  When he called, as expected, I answered "Police Deptarment, what's your emergency?"  He sounded startled and mumbled something about a wrong number.  So far, no more calls...we'll see.

If I can keep a straight face, I might try the "I'm officer so-and-so investigating a murder at this residence and I need to know who you are and why you are calling..." gambit  ...  should be fun.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

@jfw wrote:

If you have Uverse Voice, you can do the following.

Anonymous Call Blocking provides the message, "The number you dialed will not accept your call", to those callers who have their Caller ID information marked as private, restricted, anonymous, unavailable, or blocked. This feature is included with your service at no extra charge.

Your phone does not ring and the caller is unable to leave a voice mail message. You can access Anonymous Call Blocking using your online account manager or using your phone. Just press *77# on your phone to activate Anonymous Call Blocking and *87# to turn off.

Note: Unsolicited toll free calls can be stopped by registering them with the National Do Not Call Register. This can be done be done online by going to the National Do Not Call Registry at https://www.donotcall.gov/.  It can take up to 31 days for the number to be removed from all calling lists and an entry must be made for each telephone number that you wish to stop.

Not useful. All my family has caller ID blocked. And, this is NOT blocked - the ID is literally "Private" or "Unavailable". We can't use the UVoice blocking becasue there are not 7 or 10 numbers. I'm on the do not call registry. They are not helping. HELP
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.