lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@spiderman0112 wrote:

If your phone service is with ATT Uverse, there's a feature that will definitely solve your concern.

If you are using the service, you may sign in to att.com/olam to check out the phone features that will actually block those anonymous callers and forward them to a voicemail box which you can listen to using your Uverse phone. Anyways, those type of callers are most likely to guess numbers and try to fool phone owners.

I'm pretty much sure that telephone companies, not just ATT are doing their best to work out these type of cases but bad people have more ways than them. Well, part of the Uverse phone service feature is to hide your own number too when making an outgoing call. Check out the features online using your ATT member ID.

Goodluck!

Unavailable 1 calls cannot be blocked.  Doesn't matter which phone service you have.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

If you don't like that ATT won't let you block spoofed numbers, take the liberty upon yourself to buy a 3rd part device to block them.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Or cancel the home phone and go mobile phone only. Telemarketing calls to mobile phones are illegal and always have been, whereas telemarketing calls to land lines have always been legal until the creation of the do-not-call list, which is still not very enforced. As a result, mobile phones get a lot fewer telemarketing calls.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T could allow you to block the number by allowing wildcards & incomplete numbers in the blocked number list. They just won't for their own reasons.

I only use call blocking for the 20 worst offenders. I won't pay the absurd AT&T monthly fee to increase that amount.

I use a 3rd party software package, Phone Tray, to manage calls that slip through AT&T's cracks. The only problem is it has to let the phone ring once (to retrieve the caller id data) before it can screen. I just answer on the 2nd ring. However, the "Unidentified 1" source places calls outisde of legal calling hours and the one ring is annoying, particluarly if you are sleeping.

They called me 59 times last year and 16 times so far this year.

AT&T executives should be ashamed of themselves for not allowing their paying customers to selectively block any number they want in any format. If a simple 3rd party program can give that flexibility, surely there is a programmer on the AT&T staff that is almost as smart is a couple of guys up in Canada.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

In case AT&T Uverse needs a prod, here's a hint: In the call log, there is a drop down box to the right of each call. Simply add "block this number" to the choices and then block that number even if it has only 1 digit. It really doesn't matter what is passed to AT&T, if they can display it, they can block it. Simply remove the restrictions in the blocked number file that require 7-10 digits. If they can pass a number that doesn't match their own criteria, why can't they allow the individual customer to block it?

Scholar

• 

225 Messages

11 years ago

We've been getting "1" calls recently from 2 places who's numbers I am surprised wouldn't show up. One is Tulane Medical Center and the other is a state agency that's in the same state we live in. 

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Take that to law authorities. Caller ID spoofing is illegal and punishable by heavy fines. If you so choose, report them to FCC: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

You can't block this caller only identified as "1".  ATT caller block feature will only accept a 10 digit number! 

Scholar

• 

158 Messages

11 years ago

I have that nimber in my Panasonic cordless phone's block call list.  It rings only once, detects the number and hangs up on them.  Works for me!

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Please count me as another Uverse customer who would like Uverse to enable me to block calls with the caller ID of "Unavailable 1".  The Call Blocking feature doesn't allow this single-digit number to be added to the block list.  I do have "Anonymous Call Blocking" turned on, but that doesn't stop these calls.

If, as some suggest, the "Unavailable 1" indicates that the call is coming thru without any CallerID info associated with it, then I'd like to have AT&T add the ability to block all such calls.  A call without any CallerID info, to me, is suspicious for that alone and not a call I want to get.

Meanwhile, could AT&T at least please provide a thorough explanation why it's not resolved this issue after a couple years of complaints on this thread.  When numerouse customers are expressing this concern and asking for help preventing these repeated, annoying calls, why hasn't AT&T fixed it?  What has been done/tried/failed, etc?   

Thanks in advance for any new info

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.