lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

12 years ago

I'm getting several of these everyday. I'm getting really sick of it. I have anonymous call blocking turned on. 😞

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

By the way, the callerid shows up on MY phone as "Out of area 1" rather than "Unavailable 1".   Still, if we were allowed to put just a "1" in for the caller's number we want to block, in our "Blocked Caller" list, this should fix the problem. Can AT&T make this change?

Dan

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Yes, I just talked to these jokers a few min. ago.  The guy said he was from the "computer service senter" and wanted to talk about computer phishing scams and malware and how I could use their service to clean it up.  When I told him I wasn't interested he said "yes you should be interested".  He had an indian accent, of course.  When I interrupted him to say that I respectfully request to be taken off their call list he replied "I'm sorry ma'am we don't have to comply becuase we are not calling from the united states."  I said, well this is illegal then I don't want you to call my number anymore.  He was very hostile and said ** You and hung up then called right back 3 more times in a row.

AT&T needs to do it's faithfull, paying customers a good service by figuring out a way to block 1 digit numbers.  It's not that hard.  Take off the minimum lengh required on blocked numbers.  Very simple.  The fact is they just don't want to do this.  That's why I'm switching carriers.  This was the 3rd strike for them and i'm done.

AT&T does not equal good customer service.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

I was getting the same calls. I entered 000-000-0001 as the number to be blocked. So far it seems to be working. I have not received any calls from #1 in over two months.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

We have been dealing with "Out of Area 1" for too long.  I have tried everything.  Tried the "000-000-0001" and "100-000-0000" thing.  After a few months, they start calling again, non-stop.  AT&T has told me they can't do anything about it - I can cancel my service, if that's what I want.  We recently changed our phone number and within 24 hours, they called again.  The only entities that also had the new number were AT&T and ADT Home Security.  Question:  Anyone else out there also using ADT Home Security and getting these calls?  Wondering if they are linked somehow....

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

I have gotten that caller ID notification as well.  I answered the call and it turned out it was an organization that I have been dealing with.  I guess it could be a feature that phone companies are making available business.  I have not heard or read that this is the case.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Jay-Go wrote:

We have been dealing with "Out of Area 1" for too long.  I have tried everything.  Tried the "000-000-0001" and "100-000-0000" thing.  After a few months, they start calling again, non-stop.  AT&T has told me they can't do anything about it - I can cancel my service, if that's what I want.  We recently changed our phone number and within 24 hours, they called again.  The only entities that also had the new number were AT&T and ADT Home Security.  Question:  Anyone else out there also using ADT Home Security and getting these calls?  Wondering if they are linked somehow....

It doesn't matter which service you have, those numbers cannot be blocked.  My mom has had two different phone providers, neither one AT&T and she has had that number call her as well.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just found this thread after answering a call from unavailable 1. A man did come on and asked for my mother, by name. I said she is sick- can I take a message? He said no, that he would call back. I told him to please remove the number if it was a solicitation and not call back because she was on the do not call list. He said she made a pledge that she didn't pay and he would call back (rudely), then hung up on me. I know for a fact this is not true. In addition, If it was a charity or political organization, why the secrecy?
I have no problem not answering the phone (if she wasn't sick in bed I would have let it ring) but my mother will answer calls. I will keep a watch on this forum for any upcoming (hopefully) solutions. She will not add a program that requires her callers to enter a code, etc... Been there done that and it intimidates legit callers like neighbors or friends.
Hurry up AT&T, make your customers your number one priority!! This caller ID scam is a way to prey on elderly or naive customers. Is that the reputation you want?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

If your phone service is with ATT Uverse, there's a feature that will definitely solve your concern.

If you are using the service, you may sign in to att.com/olam to check out the phone features that will actually block those anonymous callers and forward them to a voicemail box which you can listen to using your Uverse phone. Anyways, those type of callers are most likely to guess numbers and try to fool phone owners.

I'm pretty much sure that telephone companies, not just ATT are doing their best to work out these type of cases but bad people have more ways than them. Well, part of the Uverse phone service feature is to hide your own number too when making an outgoing call. Check out the features online using your ATT member ID.

Goodluck!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.