weazer995's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 19th, 2014 9:17 PM

Caller ID shows I am calling myself.

On several occasions during the past month we have received calls where the caller ID indicated we were calling ourselves.  If someone can cause our number to come up as the caller on our phone, what keeps them from making calls to others using our ID?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@weazer995 wrote:

On several occasions during the past month we have received calls where the caller ID indicated we were calling ourselves.  If someone can cause our number to come up as the caller on our phone, what keeps them from making calls to others using our ID?

The CID (Caller ID number) may be presented by a caller using a digital phone system and is not verified by the phone system.  The calling party (for purposes of billing the call) is handled separately by the Telco billing system, so you won't be charged for someone lying about their phone number.  Apparently, using the called party's own number is the latest trick from the sleazeball telemarketers who continue to thumb their nose at the FCC.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Nothing. Well, maybe Uncle Sam.

Saw my phone # a few times. New one yesterday was "in use"

Anything to get your attention.

That is probably why they do not use your # on others - It would not have the desired impact.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@weazer995 wrote:

Is this happening after you've gotten a second call that had gone to call waiting?

Here's what happens at my house:  I'm on the phone talking to Mary.  The other line rings and I see that it's John.  I tell Mary that I have to take John's call.  Mary hangs up.  I click over and talk to John.  When I finish and hang up, my phone rings and shows MY number. 

Why does it do this?  I don't know but it does. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Skeeter. If I read your situation correctly, your telno appears because it is coming from your line that processes the two calls.

Mary is still on hold while you talk to John. When you hang up, the phone rings to reconnect you to Mary.

Probably, Mary's CID is not available. It was not saved when it came through on the original ring.

That would be the valid reason. If Mary is not holding up the connection, then the equipment is defective, holding the line as if she were still there.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

It doesn't bother me or cause me any concern . I'm not the one assuming that my ID has been stolen. I figgered that it was just one of those things that happens. *shrugs*

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Sorry but  I don't have call waiting.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@weazer995 wrote:

If you have Uvoice (Uverse telephone service) you have call waiting.  It is a provided feature.

Uverse voice features

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@weazer995 wrote:

Your situation and Skeeters are different. Yours is a CID spoof - There have been other posts with the same appearance of the home phone number. I have seen it two or three times. These calls just come in.

Maybe they think you will not block your own number. But, you could.

If you did that, it would not play nice with Skeeters case, because it is reconnecting the old call from Mary & skeeter would not be able to pick it up because it would be blocked.

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

FCC chief proposes steps to halt robocalls, encourage carriers to offer blocking technology.  Man Happy 

Consumer groups praised the Wheeler plan, which the commission will vote on at its June 18 meeting.

Today's news.  It's about time...

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

My phone number appears in the Att Phone Log as if I called myself yet phone Caller ID just lists it as Incoming call. When I answer this call its from a scammers pretending to be from Microsoft pretending they see a virus in my computer.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.