Humberto_1012's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, March 30th, 2019 7:57 PM

Call Waiting caller on hold is disconnected after only a few minutes

can some one help me,

If some one calls my house phone line phone rings OK. I am able to pick up the call and talk normally. and if I receive an other incoming call I hear a beep notification letting me know someones else is calling me, everything fine there no problem.   BUT when I put either call on hold for more then 3 minutes, who ever is on hold will get disconnected after just 3 minutes.

u-verse will only allow me to have someone on hold for 3 minutes and automatically ends the call.

let say I am talking with two persons, one is on the phone with me and the other one is hold/waiting.  If I end the first call before the 3 minute line. it does not drop the call before the 3 minutes line.       -      obviously my phone will ring again letting me know someone is waiting on hold. then on the caller ID display my own number appears like if I was calling myself. and is the other person waiting.

I don't know if this is an issue or if it has something to do with the call ending in 3 minutes but bothers me a lot. what I really want to have fix is the call not dropping after 3 minutes

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

I found this topic where the user stated the same problem .  In the post where the user actually time it, it stayed on hold for a little over 3 minutes before disconnecting.  I did a search but find noting on a time limit on hold, but my bet is there is, funny three people would state the same thing.  Here's some things to try.  One three minutes is a long time to listen to a silent hold, I wouldn't, so what you could do if you're keeping someone on hold for an extended period is go back to them every couple minutes to let them know you haven't forgotten about them, that might make the timer, if there is one, start over, plus it's common courtesy in my opinion to let the person holding know you haven't forgotten about them or give them the option for you to call them back.

You  could look in you phone features under your Myatt account to see if there is a timer and if so if there's a way to adjust it.  Lastly you could call tech support to see if there is a time limit for hold, but odds are they probably wouldn't know.  My bet is there's a default timer, but I think your best and the most courteous option is what I state above. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for taking the time, I agree with you about being courteous and checking back with them every couple of minutes, unfortunately the nature of my job keeps me on the phone for long periods of time and it will be kind of annoying for me and my clients to be put on hold every two minutes. Every time I put someone on hold they know up front it might take up to 6-8 minute waiting time more or less. Plus who likes to feel pressure of knowing you have to finish a conversation at a certain time.

I know nothing about regular land lines or voip.  

however I recently switch to U-verse they install internet, TV service and phone land line. and before I switch to U-verse everything was working fine, I was able to keep someone on hold for as long as I needed to.

I have spend more than 2-3 hours with different  technicians over the phone as well as a technician who came to my house and knows nothing about this issue. every time I ask someone if there is a timer or a time limit they say NO. I even bought new home phone touch tone telephone it didn't work. unplug phone and plug it directly in to the modem nope didn't work.  turn on and off call waiting did NOT help.

they send in a new modem, but it didn't work the service light was just blinking and turning red. they will come over to my house tomorrow and install an other modem because the one they send didn't even work. so they will bring one tomorrow Sunday March 31, 2019. and they will test it to see if it works and also if the modem is the root of the issue I am having.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

I doubt it will be the modem.  My money is an option in their soft switch, but how to get them to check this is another thing. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Can you explain what do you mean by soft switch?  the tech was just here for 4 hours not fix. change the modem no fix.  they put a ticket up for someone else to check whats happening here.     

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

Keep everything in one topic.  Multiple topics on the same issue will just confuse things. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

The soft switch is where all programming is done and all the rules are set for features.  It's the heart of the IP network. 

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

5 years ago

Spoom2, the post you read about timing "call on hold disconnecting" was probably mine (about a year ago) because I did time it several times.  Like Humberto_1012 I called tech support numerous times without resolution.  One tech even called me from another line and I put the first call from them on hold and timed it.  Of course the first call never disconnected.  I did not go so far as having a tech out or getting the modem replaced because I also think it is a software setting.  I was also told it must be my phone.  I have tried it with 3 different phones (cordless and non-cordless) with the same results every time.

I too have a job where I work from home frequently.  Usually if I put someone on hold it's a co-worker.  I made it a point to ask and every time the co-worker told me that they got disconnected.

I don't like it either when I'm kept on hold for a long time so I try to not keep someone on hold for very long but really, who thinks 3 minutes is too long?  Either way, AT&T could just tell us there is a time limit instead of denying it!  Truthfully, 5-10 minutes would seem more reasonable.  It would be great if there was an option in "home phone settings" (but there isn't) to be able to set it within a defined range of minutes, say 3 to 10 minutes (similar to how we can with the number of rings for voicemail).  Another idea is to "signal us" that the call on hold is reaching the time limit but even that should be at least at the one minute mark.

I had a regular landline for 40+ years (all with the various AT&T/Bell companies over those years) and had call waiting for probably 20 of those years but never had an issue until U-Verse phone.

Sorry Humberto_2012, but what's happening here is that AT&T has no idea!  Even they don't know how their products work (or don't work)!

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

I did a search and there are only a handful of topics on this issue.   Most residential customers don't use the feature the way you're using it.  They get the second call and terminate the first to answer the second, or they'll put the first call on hold just long enough to see who's calling and if they want to take the call or call the person back, normally if they want to take the call they'll flash back and let the first caller know they need to take the call.  Those like you who are using an extended hold are basically using the call waiting caller ID as a second line and it was never really intended for that, however, I do agree with those who have the problem that isn't the way it should work, it should not timeout unless it's stated in the feature that is will time out after x amount of time. I'm sure there is a tech out there that knows how to change the setting, it's getting it to the right person that's the problem. I'll see if I can get an admin to look at this to see if they have an idea on how to address it. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

@Alice_Redhat   You are absolutely right.!!   Every point you made is accurate ..!!!

I had this phone number with regular landline for more than 20 years not a single issue. but I recently move to a new home and switch to U-verse now this is happening. this is really frustrating how come even AT&T don't know their know products.

@spoom2  Thank you very much for taking the time I will really appreciate if you can get to the bottom of this, as I am pretty sure there's gotta be more people with this issue. If you need more information about this let me know. I call call customer service tech support again ask them to check an specific  setting or something.

but @Alice_Redhat  pointed very clearly,the problem is exactly as she is describing it. there's gotta be a way to push that 3 minute timer to at least 8 minutes then that will be OK. not acceptable but at least OK.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

5 years ago

Spoom2, hopefully you can get to the right person.  I can be very persistent.  When I call a company's service department and don't get what I think is a satisfactory answer I will usually call back to see what another person says.  Needless to say, I have gotten several different answers from AT&T reps which is very frustrating especially when I can prove that there is a time limit for a call on hold!

Humberto_2012, I dealt with this for several months trying to get to the bottom of it.  I'm not one to easily give up but I finally just decided to live with it.  I definitely agree, we can't be the only ones out there that have noticed this.  Side note: the 3 way calling stinks too.  It's not as easy to use as it was with the landline.  I have hung up on people and had to repeat the process.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.