Tahoe_Hiker's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, January 9th, 2015 8:17 PM

QoS issues with VoIP...

Greetings,

This is related to using my uVerse ADSL account outfitted with the AT&T-provided Motorola NVG510 modem. The internet service has been functioning more or less reliably with typical variations in speed associated with ADSL. For the past 2 years or so, I have been using Google Voice in conjunction with an Obi202 VoIP device without issues for a few years.

Although I am aware of the inherrent problems that can occur using VoIP with alarm system monitoring, I have been successfully using it with my alarm system to communicate to

alarmrelay.com for several years. (I did have to change one of the factory default settings on the Obi202 unit to 'inband' under the ITSP page in expert mode. This change was recommended on several related online forums. After making that change, my VoIP service functioned flawlessly for a long time.)

In fact, things were working well until just a few days ago. I was working with the alarm
company to add a bunch of additional sensors to my alarm system. We were doing lots (30+) of test-activations to make sure each sensor was sending a clean signal to the alarm company. In each case, the system continued to work reliably and send a good signal to the alarm company. We were nearly finished configuring the new devices when the alarm keypad starting displaying a 'Comm. Failure' error message, indicating alarm system was no longer detecting a high-quality dialtone. On the rest of the phone network, I still have a dialtone and voice calls seem to be working just fine (though I have noticed some minor call quality/choppiness issues over the past few months.)

One recommendation I received was to adjust the Quality of Service (QoS) settings on my modem. However, the Motorola device I was issued by AT&T doesn't offer that option. Can anyone else suggest what might be happening here and whether there is a workaround?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Tahoe_Hiker,

I am sorry about the issues you are having with your U-verse service, but we will be glad to help. First, try removing all the phones and just having the alarm system. Reboot everything and see if everything is working fine. If so, then having a QoS control would probably be beneficial, since it seems like adding all the extra devices is causing the issues. 

Our U-verse Gateway does not allow for making QoS changes, but you can get a secondary router with QoS control and run it behind the U-verse gateway. Here is a post that goes over it.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.