mbs0508's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, May 19th, 2017 8:16 PM

Closed

Landline stutters before giving me a dial tone

I moved and switched to Uverse about one month ago.  Since the move I have a stutter on my landline before I get a dial tone.  I have made several calls to ATT about this.  As a result of those calls I've been told 1) that this is just how my phone will be from now on, 2) a service person would come to fix it (he came, nothing changed) and 3) this is due to voice mail waiting, there is a magic star code that will solve the issue but nobody knows what it is.  My own research led me to the voice mail answer, but no code.

Please somebody- what is the magic star code?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I just found the magic code!  It is *98.  Now I want to find out how to turn the voice mail off.  Wish me luck.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

7 years ago

It is the voicemail the stutter is telling you that you have messages.  If you haven't already done so access your voicemail and set it up, after you've listened to your messages the stutter DT should go away, if you don't want the voicemail there is a way to shut it off.  On the right side of the page is u-verse features, at the bottom of the features page is a link to setting up your voicemail

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

7 years ago

The stutter sound you hear is called Voicemail Message Waiting Indicator.

You hear that sound because you have a message/s that you haven't listened to yet.

If you say you have an answering machine and you don't have a new message, the voicemail is on the ATT side. 

It will not go away until you listened to your messages. 

Talk to tech support at 800-288-2020.

Source: Message waiting indicator for voicemail

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

7 years ago

From the voicemail users guide:

Turn On, Off Voicemail Notification Using this online feature allows you to control the call forwarding to your voice mailbox. When the feature is on all calls not answered will go to your voice mailbox. When it is off your voicemail will not answer calls.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I accessed my voice messages by dialing my own number. (My mother told me how to do it. LOL) I had 59 messages! I also called comcast because my landline is through them and asked them to discontinue Voicemail service (they call it "revoking" voicemail service. Without listening through all the messages she said it would take up to three days to clear. I did listen to all of them. No more stutter, and now no more missed messages!

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

2 years ago

5 year old topic and not related to AT&T closing to further posting. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.