tye8244's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 18th, 2018 10:15 PM

Closed

Spam security calls from AT&T support number 1-800-288-2020

I'm an AT&T customer in the US. I have been getting spammed calls on my landline phone from the AT&T support number 1-800-288-2020 about some internet security problem. There is always the same robot message left on the machine. The call sounds really fake but it is from the real support number. Is it actually AT&T trying to contact me four times every day or just a spoofed number trying to scam? It really added to the confusion when I called the number directly and got to talk with a robot that sounds like it's phishing for my information.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

69 Messages

6 years ago

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this one, actually we got so many customers reporting the same concern that you have with possible fraud/phishing calls coming from our support number 1-800-288-2020.

Please be advised that it is a spoofed number and scammers are trying to get information from AT&T customers. The management is aware of this and is working on to prevent this calls from coming in and using AT&T hotline number. Please do not entertain all calls unless it's a legitimate callback from a person from customer service. AT&T don't do outbound calls to customers saying that the system has been compromised or breached.

Here are some helpful tips to avoid getting those phone calls...

U-verse Home Phone Features <-- click here to get a full list of the features you can use.

Feature Name and Definition Activate Deactivate

Description

Turn On  Turn Off

Anonymous Call Blocking

This feature blocks all calls from parties calling with anonymous numbers that do not show up on Caller ID.

The anonymous call rejection feature only blocks those calls where the caller intentionally tries to block their Caller ID information. 

• AT&T makes our queries against the Line Information Database (LIDB). 
  • If the service provider of the calling party does not subscribe to LIDB or if that service provider did not populate the Caller ID in the LIDB, the call passes through our rejection filter. 
  • This is because the calling party is not trying to block their Caller ID information from delivering to the called party (our subscriber).
  1. Press *77#.
  2. Hang up.
  1. Press *87#.
  2. Hang up.

Call Blocking

This feature allows customers to block up to 100 numbers designated at the myAT&T Online Account Management site. When a person calls from a number on the blocked numbers list, they hear, The number you dialed will not accept your call.

The customer can manage their blocked list from the Phone Features page in myAT&T Online Account Management.

1. Acess att.com and log in using the Primary Member ID and password.
  2. Place the cursor on myAT&T > Home Phone > My Phone Service > Manage Features > Phone Features tab.
  3. Under the Call Filtering section, select Call Blocking > On.
  4. Enter up to 100 numbers to block. TNs entered must be 10-digits (NPA-NXX-XXX).
  5. Click Save.

Once the Block list is configured the customer can use the activation and deactivation star codes.

All blocked numbers stored in the list are lost once deactivated.

1. Press *60.
  2. Hang up.

This is only done to activate the blocked list configured online.

1. Press *80.
  2. Hang up.

This is only done to deactivate the blocked list configured online.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

If you call them you're safe.  It's the calls from the 800 number you have to watch as spammers are spoofing the number. Just don't use any links connected to the text, call the 800 customer number. 

Teacher

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Received a call from 8002882020 this evening . It was an automated message saying my at&t  account was suspended. Asked for account holders social security number. I figured this was phishing and did not provide any information. Just fyi

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I also got the same robot calling me from this number.  Perhaps AT&T should be DOING SOMETHING to stop scammers from making these calls.  The technology exists to track the companies that relay these spoofed calls and should stop them from enabling the fraud, theft and harassment that plague the AT&T customers.  That would be one step closer to catching the criminals that operate without penalty now.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

Call spoofing for fraudulent purposes is against the law, problem is these calls originate overseas and they could care less about US law. 

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Even if calls originate out of the US, the calls are routed through AT&T networks when they end up in my land line.  These calls are traceable to a point where they enter the VOIP network. The companies that sell anonymous access to the AT&T networks can be blocked or legally sued, which AT&T is NOT doing.  There is no excuse for AT&T not doing more to stop these calls.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

If you're really interested in what's going on with robocalls/spoofing read this topic and follow the links. Things are never as simple as they seem. 

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

OK, followed the links, and I have been doing research for years.  The link you supplied is mainly a thread with you apologizing for AT&T, arguing that nothing can be done.  NO, more needs to be done, and 36 state attorney generals agree.  https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/refresh-robocall-record-reply-comment-of-35-state-ags.pdf

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

Their were links to other FCC rulings and statements as well as Senate bills that have been introduced, the link you posted was from about a year ago, there's been several more and I'm sure more to come.  Yes myself and another member were arguing the point, but if you followed the thread to the end you'll see we were actually talking two difference things, one was consumer products to address blocking and the second what the government and the Telco's are working on.  I hope you're not another one who thinks AT&T can resolve this issue all by itself. Even some of the discussions between the Telco's and the FCC say all the Telco's have to agree to make it work.  Since the late 90's when all this started and the DNC was suppose to be the answer there's been many band aid approaches to address the issue, they've finally realized the band aid fixes don't work.  I don't believe I ever said nothing can be done. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Ironclad is right, these are instances of caller-ID spoofing, but his suggestions about blocking numbers based on caller ID miss the point:  The caller ID on the scam calls is that of AT&T, and you wouldn't want to block all calls from AT&T.  Blocking calls with no caller ID might be useful in some other situations, but would not help block these calls.  For more information, see the section "Spoofing a known institution" on my page about Caller-ID spoofing scams here:

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.