Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Receiving calls from 800-288-2020

Tutor

Receiving calls from 800-288-2020

I have been receiving calls from 800-288-2020 so AT&T can find my number about something but they never make a Relay call no matter how many times I tell them that my hearing is such that that is the only way they will be able to communicate with me via phone.  This has been happening off and on for years. 

Anyone have any ideas how to get them to make Relay calls to me?

Message 1 of 16
Tutor

Re: Receiving calls from 800-288-2020

Who can I contact within AT&T about this?  Surely I am not the only person that cannot hear well enough to understand voice calls.  I have called the 800-772-3140 voice number of the Disability and Aging Center with my state Relay and got no where in regard to getting this issue forwarded to any person or department that can do anything about it.

If the outgoing system is not programed to accept 711 (number that can be used to connect to your state relay from any state in the USA) as an outgoing number why are they not using the 800 number that every state has as another way as a way to reach the Relay?  The reps placing the outgoing calls would just have to dial the 800 number for the Relay in the state where that rep is located, give the CA the number of the person they are trying to reach and when connected it goes like the incoming Relay calls that they have little trouble handling (sometimes how a Relay call works just has to be explained more than once).

Message 2 of 16
Scholar

Nope, you are not the only one - if I get one more, I will block the number.

Message 3 of 16
Tutor

It is probably a scammer.  I got one from a 800 288 2040, very close number to yours.  Said it was ATT but it was fishing for login information. Don't give security information to someone that calls you.

Message 4 of 16
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTCustomerCare
‎03-12-2018 7:29 AM

Got calls from 1-800-288-2020 today on 2 out of 3 of the phones on my wireless account.  According to (legitimate) AT&T customer service rep, they're spoofed phishing attempts, trying to get you to give up account information.  "AT&T will not call customers and request that sort of information."  Hang up and block the number.  I did, and I feel so much better for doing it. ;-)

You can also install (if it's not already on your phone - it was on mine) and activate AT&T Call Protect via Google Play Store for additional security options.

https://www.att.com/features/security-apps.html

Message 5 of 16
Contributor

I got a call from that phone number today. I did not answer. I have AT&T Call Ptotect active on my phone but it did not notify or block this call. Having said that, I do appreciate Call Protect - it catches a lot of spam/scam calls. 

Message 6 of 16
Contributor

Just received a call from this number but they did not leave a message.  I called back and when it sounded all legit and like AT&T.  Then the guy who answered the phone asked me for my 4 digit pin.  I don't have a 4 digit pin.  Mine is longer.  I told him that.  He said well then who is your favorite childhood hero.  I said I would never do a security question like that.  He then went back to asking for the 4 digit pin.  I hung up.  

Message 7 of 16
Contributor

Track the call online at the white pages reverse call site.  https://www.whitepages.com/reverse-phone

That way you'll get a better idea of who is calling.  Scammers these days call under all kinds of bogus names, or under 'unidentified', or no name at all.  Many look official, most aren't.  The majority are from overseas.  Older people and people with landlines are targeted.  And yes they do know who is older, because in America people's names, address, ages, and relatives are posted all over the Internet.  The minute it's removed from one site it pops up in three others.

I've gotten calls from government, city, police, firemen, medical, DMV, IRS, energy companies, etc.  All bogus.  If you don't recognize the name or number, just don't pick up. 

Don't be at their beck and call - if the call is valid and important, the caller will call back.  And you know who calls you.  JUST DON'T PICK UP OR ANSWER THE PHONE. In most cases it's a robo call, and nobody will be there, anyways.  But then they will then know the best time(s) to call you.   

Message 8 of 16
Contributor

Just received a phone call from this number. I’ve been with AT&T for 14 years (Cingular for a short time in there), and I’ve never had any issues before. This number called and I answered, it said that my account was suspended because of verification. I could press 1 to reactive or press 2 to speak to a representative. I hung up right away. As soon as I did, I received a voicemail with the same exact recording. 

Tried to to reach out to AT&T after hours through chat and that was no help...never had an issue before and I should’ve just googled the number because it brought me to this first lol. Never got a response from the chat.

Just don’t answer it!

Message 9 of 16
Contributor

I too just received a call from ATT and the robocaller was asking for the last 4 digits of my social and passcode to my account.  I gave it a bunch of incorrect numbers so hopefully this will frustrate the scammers. 

Message 10 of 16
Contributor

This is a SCAM phone number posing as AT&T. DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT GIVE THEM THE LAST FOUR DIGIST OF YOUR SOCIAL AND YOUR PASSCODE. When you answer the phone, it says your account has been suspended. Press 1 to reinstate your account and Press 2 to speak to a Customer Service rep. If you press 2, it asks for the last four of your social and then it asks for you to enter your passcode. IF YOU GIVE THEM THIS INFO, THEY HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR ACCOUNT! Then the message says that a customer service rep is busy and will call you back in 20-30 minutes. If you give them your personal information, they have access to your account and who knows what they will do from there! BEWARE AND BE WARNED! 

Message 11 of 16
Contributor

THIS NUMBER IS A SCAM.  Do not give them any information.  

Message 12 of 16
Mentor

Just got called by this number - caller ID said "AT&T Internet Support".   Didn't answer, as I don't have AT&T internet.   I do have Call Protect plus, but it didn't flag this number.

Message 13 of 16
Contributor

called my home line... didn't leave a message on answering machine so I called it back on a windows store app TextNow and its phone number.  Sounded legitimate and they transferred me to customer service when they couldn't find my phone number that I was calling from.  Had 3 minute wait time and I hung up after listing to their sales pitch for the cell phone app.

Would think ATT would verify here if their number or not ?

att contact us page shows it is the number for the tv service 

www.att.com/contactus/index/digitaltv.html

Message 14 of 16
Contributor

I just received a letter in the mail stating my profile has been updated.  If I have received this message in error, please contact our Digital Assistance Center at 800.288.2020.

I almost called but decided to search the real number to see if this is their number.  Glad I came across this post!  Unbelievable.

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support