Non-Listed vs Non-published pricing

Contributor

Non-Listed vs Non-published pricing

I recently purchased Uverse phone. I requested to not be listed so that I would not receive any unsolicited phone calls. I was told I had to pay $2.25 per month to be non-listed. I was disappointed to lean that I had to pay anything to AT&T for a service to not list my phone number.  I really don't understand why not including my phone number needs to be an extra monthly charge. Despite the fact that this seems to be a completely bogus service and charge, I was given no other choice but to pay for this "service." 

I've had my phone service for 3 weeks now, and I have been receiving at least 3 telemarketing calls a day. I called customer support today to confirm that my non-listing service was actually happening. I was told that while my number was non-listed, it did not include being non-published. To be non-published, I would have to pay $4.95 per month, on top of the $2.25 I was paying to be non-listed. 

I asked for explenation on the difference between non-listed and non-published and the answer I received was that the non-listed is for the white pages, and the non-published is for directory assitance. 

These charges are absolutely insulting on so many levels:

1) How can AT&T call this a service, and justify a monthly charge. Do they have to do anything on a monthly basis, or just not list the number one time? That's not a service

2) I was told when I signed up that I would not receive any telemarketing calls by selecting the non-listed number and paying the $2.25. The reality is I have to $2.25 + $4.95 = $7.20 per month or $86.40 a year. That's 29% of my total phone bill for this so-called service. 

3) I'm not certain these charges are legal. Congress passed a bill for the National Do Not Call Registry which means that we have a right not to be listed if we ask for it. 

I did escalate this to customer service supervisor named Jeff. His employee id is jc993c. He said that there was nothing he could do for me, and offered that I call AT&T main phone number which he gave me as 210-821-4105

I really thought AT&T would be a better company than this. I probably should have stayed on Comcast, I'm really not saving all that much. I hope someone at AT&T realizes how ridiculous this is for their business, and starts doing more for customer satisfaction. 

Message 1 of 19 (8,243 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Non-Listed vs Non-published pricing

gregmg - I have to say you may not like it, but it has been that way for the last 100 years or so. Approved by every regulatory body.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19 (8,225 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Google "non-listed" vs. "no-published".  Perhaps that will clarify things.

P.S.  If you do business with a company (credit card/utility/retailer), they can call you whether you are on a 'no call list' or not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 19 (8,216 Views)

Doesn't matter whether you use AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, or any telephone service, you want your number unlisted you are going to pay more. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 4 of 19 (8,201 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

You cannot stop people from calling you. Just either let it go to voice mail, or pick up the phone and politely tell them to remove you from their calling list.

Also the DNC has been proven to be broken like the GOP & DNC that runs our country.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

A non-published/non-listed number is not a way to get unsolicited phone calls. It is designed so people can't look you up in the phone book/411 (e.g. crazy exes, convicts (helpful for judges and law enforcement)).

The default is to publish every landline number; requesting them to do something different is a special request, hence the charge.

The $4.95 is instead of the $2.25, not on top of it.
Message 6 of 19 (8,184 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

AT & T is guilty of extortion.

I think that AT & T should not be publishing phone numbers and requiring people to pay extra money to have an unlisted number (or not publish the numbers).  I am on the Florida Do Not Call List, the National Do Not Call list, and people still call, many of them "spoofers" who do not leave their phone numbers on our caller IDs.  These spoofers get our numbers, and the numbers from others, by using the published phone numbers that AT & T furnishes, and I don't think I should have to pay AT & T five dollars a month to get my name off the list.  It just takes a data entry operator 5 seconds to make the change.  Why should I pay AT & T 60 dollars a year for this one time change?   The answer is it is easy money and not enough people complain.

The people at AT & T don't see it as extortion, but I do.  AT & T defends the practice as just something every other company does, which is not really an ethical defense in my book.  You can ask Michael (AT & T employee) who said this.

[edited for privacy]

You can read more about this at the following URL:

[removed link which resolved to webmail portal]

AT & T gives a lot of money to legislators who oppose any law that would keep them from extorting people, people who don't feel that they should have to pay five dollars a month not to have their numbers listed.  

Message 7 of 19 (7,590 Views)
ACE - Master

This is not a new issue.  We paid the extra $5 a month for an unpublished number YEARS ago (30+) but found that we still got solicitation calls. I quickly realized it was a waste of money.

Your number gets out there any number of ways, not just being published in a phone book.  If you've ever applied for credit, filled out any number of forms, anything online, even for a drawing at a store opening or at a craft/state fair where they require a phone number.

Thinking that you can keep your phone number private or unpublished is naive. 

Why else was CID/Call Block was invented!

Message 8 of 19 (7,587 Views)
Employee

I understand that you don't like the pricing, but like someone mentioned in an earlier post, the $4.95 for non-published is not on top of the $2.25. Non-published doesn't list you in both the phone book and 411 whereas non-listed is only the phone book.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 19 (7,583 Views)

japplen wrote:

AT & T is guilty of extortion.

No, they are not guilty of extortion.  AT&T is a business and as such sets the price.  The money for the do not list/do not publish is a price that all providers charge.

I think that AT & T should not be publishing phone numbers and requiring people to pay extra money to have an unlisted number (or not publish the numbers). 

90% of people don't care and in the days of actual phone books it was the only way to look up someone. If you don't want your number listed or published then you pay for it, just like ALL other providers.

I am on the Florida Do Not Call List, the National Do Not Call list, and people still call, many of them "spoofers" who do not leave their phone numbers on our caller IDs.  These spoofers get our numbers, and the numbers from others, by using the published phone numbers that AT & T furnishes,

No, they don't.  If you are getting phone calls from telemarketers it's because you have signed up for something at one time or another and that provided your number. 

and I don't think I should have to pay AT & T five dollars a month to get my name off the list.  It just takes a data entry operator 5 seconds to make the change.  Why should I pay AT & T 60 dollars a year for this one time change?   The answer is it is easy money and not enough people complain.

The people at AT & T don't see it as extortion, but I do.  AT & T defends the practice as just something every other company does, which is not really an ethical defense in my book.  You can ask Michael (AT & T employee) who said this.

[edited for privacy]

You can read more about this at the following URL:

[removed link which resolved to webmail portal]

AT & T gives a lot of money to legislators who oppose any law that would keep them from extorting people, people who don't feel that they should have to pay five dollars a month not to have their numbers listed.  

Again, no one is forcing you to pay.  The answer is simple, you don't pay and your phone number will be listed in the phone book and be available via 411. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 10 of 19 (7,554 Views)
Scholar

You are wasting your time and money paying for non listed numbers.  Most telemarketers use computer software which dials numbers at random.  So a non listed number will not do any good.  I hate telemarket calls with a passion.  This is what I do.  I leave an announcement with my voice mail stating that I do not answer any calls directly and if you are a telemarketer do not call this number again.  If that does not help and I see I am getting calls from the same number over and over I have a whistle that I blow in their ear.  But you can never stop those pests.  If anyone has any other suggestions please post them.

Message 11 of 19 (7,529 Views)
ACE - Master

db821arc wrote:

You are wasting your time and money paying for non listed numbers.  Most telemarketers use computer software which dials numbers at random.  So a non listed number will not do any good.  I hate telemarket calls with a passion.  This is what I do.  I leave an announcement with my voice mail stating that I do not answer any calls directly and if you are a telemarketer do not call this number again.  If that does not help and I see I am getting calls from the same number over and over I have a whistle that I blow in their ear.  But you can never stop those pests.  If anyone has any other suggestions please post them.

Answer the phone and say:

"Listen carefully.  This call may be recorded and we have a $50 fee for solicitation calls.  If you continue to sell, market or offer any product or service after I have informed you, you have accepted the $50 fee on behalf of the company you work for.  Do you wish to continue?"

They'll probably hang up but if they continue their sales pitch, immediately say:

"Thank you for accepting our solicitation fee.  I need to speak to your supervisor immediately so that I may get your billing information."

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 19 (7,524 Views)
Tutor

Hello Gregmg:

I agree with all that you say. I have used the word "extortion" to describe AT & T's practice of charging us money not to list our numbers.  This is like saying, "We are going to show your number to the world and all these bothersome telemarketers and spoofers can use it to bother you, unless you pay us every month not to do this."  

Also, AT & T likes to wear its customers down as you write below:

"I did escalate this to customer service supervisor named Jeff. His employee id is jc993c. He said that there was nothing he could do for me, and offered that I call AT&T main phone number which he gave me as 210-821-4105"

At AT & T, they are trained to say "there is nothing I can do," and then provide another number.  If they tell you this isn't true, they are telling you something they know isn't true.

Message 13 of 19 (7,108 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

My U-verse home phone number is published/listed. However, I requested that only my initials be shown and that my address be omitted. AT&T does not charge for making those changes. Call Customer Service at 1-800-288-2020.

Message 14 of 19 (6,520 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

The way to deal with telemarketters is to answer the call, interrupt them to ask who they are.  If they're rushing through their spiel, ask them to slow down and repeat what they've said.  Pretend you couldn't understand what they've said.  Act a little dumb and they'll think they can trick you and you'll get more information out of them.  Make sure you get the caller name and the company name, then ask to be put on their do not call list.

Trustworthy companies won't call you back and they'll frequently keep you on their do not call list forever, because it's much more of a hassle for them to track how long it was since you've last called them.  My marketting calls dropped from 1 or 2 each evening to maybe 1 a month.  I moved once since that time, before number portability was available, so I had to start over on a new number.

With robocalls, I usually press "9" before the message continues.  When I first got these calls I waited through until I heard the entire message to try to get a live person to complain to.  Some of them tell you to press "2", but eventually, I just press "9" and have reduced my calls since I figured this out.  My wife just doesn't answer them, but I always do when I'm home during that period.  I just press 9 as soon as I hear the recorded message start and the line hangs up immediately and I suspect that it automatically puts me on their do not call list.  I hardly ever get marketting calls anymore.

The National "Do Not Call" list is a fraud.  It basically lists your number for non-profits, politicians and their groups to call you.  I've never used it, but I know people that have and political organizations keep calling them.  By placing your name on that list, you've given them the green light to call you.  People use the list, because they don't know how, nor do they want, to spend the effort to talk to the marketters and make use of the existing law that's been around for decades.  You don't even have to keep your number ulisted/unpublished.

[The Community Forum is not a venue for discussion of legal matters. Thank you.]

Message 15 of 19 (6,473 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

: Have phone trouble? Don’t wait, fix it now! Check out the links below, help is just a click away. You can also search for answers using the search feature above.

Additional Support