Larry Roberts's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015 6:13 PM

Nomorobo and Uverse Voice billing

Looking at last month's usage report I see 37 calls to Nomorobo's toll free number, each of which "cost" me one minute of my 250 minute monthly allowance.  I never directly dialed their number and, actually, it seems to me like Nomorobo blocks a couple of calls per day - so 37 feels low.  Is this how it works for everyone.

Here's some correspondence between me and Nomorobo:

Greetings,

My phone service, ATT Uverse VOIP, allows me 250 minutes of calls per month for a flat rate. I noticed that in a recent month the 37 calls intercepted by Nomorobo resulted in a "charge" of 37 minutes against my monthly allowance. In other words, my bill shows that I called Nomorobo (18667326185) 37 times and I'm wondering if, to your knowledge, other phone companies account for calls intercepted by Nomorobo this same way.
-------
Oh wow. No, I'm not aware of any other phone company that charges like that. It's a toll-free number so, no matter what, it should be a free call. There's definitely something wrong on AT&T's end.

The best answer that I can give you is to call AT&T and ask them what's going on.

Aaron Foss
Founder, Nomorobo

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Larry Roberts wrote:

Looking at last month's usage report I see 37 calls to Nomorobo's toll free number, each of which "cost" me one minute of my 250 minute monthly allowance.  I never directly dialed their number and, actually, it seems to me like Nomorobo blocks a couple of calls per day - so 37 feels low.  Is this how it works for everyone.

Here's some correspondence between me and Nomorobo:

Greetings,

My phone service, ATT Uverse VOIP, allows me 250 200 (*note correction) minutes of calls per month for a flat rate. I noticed that in a recent month the 37 calls intercepted by Nomorobo resulted in a "charge" of 37 minutes against my monthly allowance. In other words, my bill shows that I called Nomorobo (18667326185) 37 times and I'm wondering if, to your knowledge, other phone companies account for calls intercepted by Nomorobo this same way.
-------
Oh wow. No, I'm not aware of any other phone company that charges like that. It's a toll-free number so, no matter what, it should be a free call. There's definitely something wrong on AT&T's end.

The best answer that I can give you is to call AT&T and ask them what's going on.

Aaron Foss
Founder, NomoroboNomoro

You have Unlimited On Net Calls which are to other Uverse customers.  Then you have Off Net Calls which count against your 200 mins.  Toll free calls are Off Net.

I'm guessing that in order to block a call, the call is sent to the Nomorobo number, which is toll-free, which is Off Network, which counts against your minutes.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Yes, there are no toll charges but minutes are charged - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401871

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks to both of you who replied.  

I guess with the Nomorobo service on Uverse Voice every time someone calls me it costs me a minute -- robocaller or not.

I may try anonymous caller blocking and see what effect that has.

And although I do have a 250 minute plan (248 unused this billing period!) it looks like that isn't offered any more -- it's either 200 or unlimited.

Thanks again.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

It was really interesting to me to learn that the process works via a toll free call. That is , using very basic process that is in place. Following a long tradition in the industry of such "inventions".

I was thinking it should be able to work with just a ping of the signalling system, but the equipment may be more expensive on both ends.

I believe the FCC just ruled that the Telcos should be more active in blocking unwanted telemarketing calls. Maybe this will result in some customer favorable changes, such as not charging for the minutes, under the theory that if you were will to "pay" a minute, you were the driver. But, if att is supposed to be more "active" they can do it without charge.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Larry Roberts wrote:

Thanks to both of you who replied.  

I guess with the Nomorobo service on Uverse Voice every time someone calls me it costs me a minute -- robocaller or not.

I may try anonymous caller blocking and see what effect that has.

And although I do have a 250 minute plan (248 unused this billing period!) it looks like that isn't offered any more -- it's either 200 or unlimited.

Thanks again.

Thanks for clarifying the current limit (200 vs. 250). 

Unlimited is only $10 more a month.  Might be worth it to not have to worry.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Reaction from Aaron at Nomorobo:

Wow. Yeah. I see it here too:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401871&cv=814

Unbelievable. I did not expect that at all. 

You’re right [well, not me] – the whole toll-free thing is INCREDIBLY basic. You see, the carriers don’t want to cooperate with me so I had to hack the system. I’m piggybacking off the simultaneous ring that they already offer.

Yes, a “signaling ping” would be way more efficient but, until the carriers want to officially implement Nomorobo, I don’t have any control. This is the best that I can do right now.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.