For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
markguitre's profile

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

Friday, September 14th, 2018 7:45 PM

Closed

My own number calls me, repeatedly!

In the past 2 days I have received over 25 calls which show up on my Caller ID as my own number

together with my own name. I have a call blocker, so after the first time , I blocked my own number.

That worked, the phone no longer rings, but in the call log, I still see that whoever it is, keeps trying;

even though when they call, they supposedly hear nothing, no ringing, only dead silence.

Once or twice in the past 25 years I've seen my own number spoofed back on me.

But this is something way beyond that: I'm talking 17 times just in one day! Any ideas or advice?

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

#bancallspoofing

Anyone who wracks their brain to come up with legit reasons for call spoofing, would see their time better spent

wracking upon the steps necessary to totally ban it, and I mean worldwide. We went to the moon, but banning call spoofing

is a bridge too far?

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

5 years ago

A year or so ago I stopped getting any calls, from anywhere on my VOIP.  The call would show on my TV but pick up the phone, nothing.  After spending a good bit of time with ATT help in some far corner of the world, it seemed that NOMOROBO (recommended at that time by ATT) was blocking all calls because my own number had been spoofed.  At least that's the way I understand it.  So they had to stop my number using NOMOROBO, which means I do get the calls I'm supposed to, but tons of spoof and spam calls constantly.  Apparently no one at ATT cares.  I'm getting a lot of interesting offers from Spectrum.

Tom

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

THERE ARE TOO FEW ARGUABLY LIGITAMITE USES FOR CALL SPOOFING TO JUSTIFY ITS CONTINUANCE, IN THE FACE OF ALL THE ILLIGITAMITE AND MALICIOUS ONES, WHICH USES EASILY OUT-PACE THE LEGIT ONES IN RATIO OF AT LEAST 1O0 TO 1. #bancallspoofing

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

Sounds good, if it were only that easy.  Search this board for the many discussions on this issue and what's being done or use your favorite search engine to search the FCC and robocalls. I'm certainly not going to explain it all again when it's been gone through many times.

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

I was not saying, or even suggesting it (banning call spoofing) is easy.

Yet, it is not, as some here think, impossible.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

See this link  On AT&T's site.  Also see this discussion on the issue, with links to various government sites.  Lastly see this from the FCC. There's way's to fix it, but all players have to agree as to what needs done.  No one ever said it was impossible, all that's been stated is it's not as easy as some people seem to think.    Please take the time to read what's been offered and read the links provided, it's long, but if anyone is really interested in the complexity of this it's worth the read.   There's other discussions on the forum if you'd like to search for them. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

I didn't realize some of the information provide in my last post had already been given on page one. 

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

5 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject. The topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.