For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
markguitre's profile

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

Friday, September 14th, 2018 7:45 PM

Closed

My own number calls me, repeatedly!

In the past 2 days I have received over 25 calls which show up on my Caller ID as my own number

together with my own name. I have a call blocker, so after the first time , I blocked my own number.

That worked, the phone no longer rings, but in the call log, I still see that whoever it is, keeps trying;

even though when they call, they supposedly hear nothing, no ringing, only dead silence.

Once or twice in the past 25 years I've seen my own number spoofed back on me.

But this is something way beyond that: I'm talking 17 times just in one day! Any ideas or advice?

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

Not much you can do about spoofing numbers.  It's illegal, but the callers are from overseas and they don't care about what's legal and what's not. 

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

This goes a bit beyond ordinary call spoofing.1) It's my own name and number that's being spoofed back to me.2) My own name/number has been spoofed on 29 calls in the last two days.My concern is that for some reason I'm being individually targeted, or else a spam bot has gone haywire.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

I understand and it's not an isolated problem. Just do a google search you'll find many hits on this very issue. 

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

A total of 36 calls on 3 consecutive business days from my own name & number is SINGULAR, and possibly worthy of Guinness Book inclusion. No Google search yielded anything like this. Somehow, I should feel special, that someone or someplace is

targeting me in such a dedicated, dogged and unique way; but I don't quite. Then, the calls stopped on Saturday & Sunday, giving the serial harassers the weekend off with their families (that they might harass them instead?). On Monday, 7 more such calls came in; but on Tuesday, no more-- leaving me to wonder what it was all about.

My best guess is that it's harassment or retaliation; certainly not some earnest effort to reach a person in order to sell to and/or scam them. After all, a couple of those 36 calls were only one minute apart! Possible moral: When you never answer unfamiliar numbers, when you never answer spoofed calls, when you don't even answer you calling yourself, they'll come after you with even heavier artillery.

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

6 years ago

This is a very important issue for we consumers and gives us a very legitimate reason to hate our telecom providers, yet "they" and their apologizers seem to enjoy spouting reasons the problem cannot be resolved.  With the huge tax cuts AT&T received, along with their court victory (thus far) in the merger with Time Warner you'd think they'd have a better attitude when dealing with us. Get 'er Done AT&T!!

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

Just google FCC and call spoofing or FCC and robocalls.  A little searching will give you your answers, or read some of the many topics on this forum.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

Here's a lengthy discussions with links to some of the acts and bills that have been introduced. There's a ton of information on this issue on the FCC's WEBSITE, if you like to read. 

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

I've Googled, I've read.The takeaway is that far too little is being done, that's it's being done so late in the game (too much toothpaste out of the tube already);and that future proposals are just more of not much, or nothing at all. @bancallspoofing

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

I don't know what you read, but this has been an ongoing, ever changing issue with the FCC since 1991, so I wouldn't call that too late in the game.  Everyone seems to think this is a simple fix, but with a little effort and research you'll quickly see it isn't.  It's like hitting a moving target with a BB gun, the odds aren't with you.  You can put the total blame on AT&T if you want, but all carriers are having the same issue and there's plenty of blame to go around, starting with our government.   This is being discussed between the FCC and ALL the Telco's not just AT&T.  No one carrier can fix it, they all have to work together, with the FCC. Did you even read the link to the discussion provided, with an open mind that is? 

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

#bancallspoofing
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.