For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Monday, September 24th, 2018 11:39 AM

Closed

Low hanging/downed telephone lines

There is a low hanging telephone line at 119 Fayetteville Road Jonesboro, GA 30236. It hangs very low and it also is laying across the garage of the house next to that address, 117 Fayetteville Road I believe. It has been this way for a LONG time. The cable company (Comcast) says it is AT&T's responsibility. I have tried to report it every way I know how. I call the number they say to call for downed wires and all I get is the automated voice system. There is nothing on there that lets you "select repair" like the online instructions tell you. When they finally transfer you to a live person, that person has no clue about it. They don't know anything about a "repair" department either. They all speak with heavy accents that are hard to understand too. I just decided to post here because I hope to God somebody will see it who works for AT&T and they will get this information to the right person. I know they probably don't care because I have been trying to get this corrected for a LONG time and nobody gives a poop. I have called City Hall, Comcast, AT&T, etc. and still no action. Just thought I would give it one last try since I just recently ordered AT&T service. I figure if I am gong to be a paying customer now they should at least have somebody look at this and see if it is their line. I don't know if Comcast was lying to me or not. They did not seem any eager to fix it anymore than AT&T seems to be about downed lines. 

I live in a lower income county. I guess to get good service you need to live in a better zip code. It is what it is though so I am trying one last time before giving up. My aunt has been on me to get this fixed forever because it interferes with her gardening. I can't even cut the grass without having to duck. There is a downed line/low hanging line at 119 Fayetteville Road Jonesboro, GA 30236. I don't know if it is cable or phone line, but Comcast said it was AT&T's line. Lord, I miss the days when I was a kid and all my Mama had to do was make one call and a live person would answer and her issue would be fixed quickly and with no hassle or stress. Technology has NOT improved things, it has only changed things. 

Thank you

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Experiencing a low-hanging wire situation out here in Southern California .  Has been ongoing for over a year and a half without any resolution.  After I called the company and much runaround, a company tech did come out to take pictures with a tablet device, he acknowledged the wires were dangerously low, and said a request would be forwarded to the "construction dept." ..... That was over a year and a half ago and no one has shown up!

A couple of months ago a tech came out to fix a switch in a box that services all the landlines on our street.  Because our home phone had no dial tone, the tech came specifically to our house to look at our equipment.  The tech became alarmed when she saw the low-hanging wires in our backyard and stated they needed to be raised.  She stated she would be putting an order in as soon as she got back to the office. ...... So much for being alarmed ---- haven't seen an AT&T employee ever since!

I don't know how AT&T isn't embarrassed regarding its neglect, inattention, and lack of service.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

The only thing available for the board to report these issues is on the right side of this page called "Report Line or Pole Issues"  I know the OP @Anonymous stated they'd call the report number.  The only suggestion I have is keep trying until you reach someone who knows how to handle this.  Not the best answer I know, but it's the best that's available for now. 

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Can anybody tell me if I cut the wire going to my house will that affect my cable TV service? The wires in my yard are now even lower because my neighbor got mad and took the part that was lying on his garage roof and laid it across his fence between our yards. So now instead of ducking I have to step over the wires. This is a tripping hazard for my elderly Aunt who lives here. If I disconnect the wire from the outside of my house and it is in fact an AT&T wire, then will cutting the phone line away from my house do anything to my cable TV service? Right now I have Comcast cable, home phone, and Internet. If the wire is indeed a AT&T wire, will I still have all my Comcast services if I cut this wire? I have ordered AT&T service for home phone and Internet but that doesn't start until October. If taking care of this wire myself will still allow me to keep all my Comcast services, I think I will just cancel the AT&T services. 

Another idea I had was if I cut the wire myself and then when my AT&T service starts and I don't have service because the wire was cut from my house, then will they come out here and fix it since I won't have a dial tone then? I know there has got to be someway to fix this line. I am fed up with this. My Aunt does't understand why I can't get this taken  care of. She is from a time when the phone company actually responded to people. She doesn't understand how many times I have called and done everything else I know to do and AT&T just will not respond. They just don't care. I would even pay them to come fix it. I am afraid if I try to fix it myself or just disconnect it I will mess something else up. 

A third idea I might try is putting it up over a high tree limb. There is a tree right next to my house with branches. Would it be safe for me to drape the low wire across a branch to make it higher? 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

If the line is round it's your cable TV.  If it's flat or obviously oblong it's more than likely phone and wouldn't affect your cable TV.  Any way you shake it the line from the pole to the house is not yours, it belongs to whosever service it is. I would not cut the line, if you do and someone trips or gets tangle up in it some way you'd be libel.  Your best idea was to put it over a tree branch, if it can be done safely without interfering with anyone else's property.  This must not be crossing an alley way or road or it would have been ripped down by now.  What I suggest is if you can't get any response from AT&T and it's a safety issue, contact your city, county, utility commission, police department, fire department or whoever will listen and let them deal with it, you could also contact the FCC and file a complaint.   

• 

2 Messages

@spoom2 

Hypothetically...these oblong phone like cables. How dangerous are they to touch? Hypothetically.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

See the topic you opened in the Internet forum. No need to ask the same question in multiple forums or more than once.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I've decided after trying for two years every which way I know how, and researching this issue on here, the BEST thing for me to do is to fix it myself. AT&T does not care at all so I am not too worried about them being mad at me for messing with their lines. We obviously live in a do-it-yourself world now and the cable and phone companies want you to do everything yourself as much as possible. I am going to get up on a ladder and try to pull the wire up enough so it will not be a trip hazard, and it will not hang lower than my head so I won't have to duck when mowing the grass. This will make my Aunt happy, not completely satisfied as it will still look trashy, but she will be happy she won't have to deal with it anymore when she is gardening. I will lovingly drape it across the highest branch I need to get it out of the way, and then ... if AT&T doesn't like it, they can kiss my grits because I am fed up. I bet people who live in Beverly Hills don't have to put up with this nonsense, but if you are working class you might as well just resign yourself to the fact that if you want something done right (or at least halfway done right), do it yourself because no cable company or phone company is going to give a poop about it. The only lines that will get taken care of pretty quickly is power lines because those can kill people if live. If cable and phone lines killed people by electrocution I reckon the companies would have actual solutions to fixing them. 

If this site allows pictures to be posted on here I will try and post pictures later of the before and after. Thanks spoom2 for your advice. The line is not round so I assume it is definitely AT&T's like the cable guy told me one time. Since I have AT&T service starting in October I figure I better not completely just remove it because they still would not fix it and I would be left with no home phone or Internet. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

To post a picture just click on the camera (Photos) above the reply box. 

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We've had downed utility lines in unincorporated dekalb, about 20 minutes from where you are experiencing the same thing, for over 6 months, despite many calls. My neighbors and I have contacted everyone as well.  I wish there was a solution but at this point I'm just going to move. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Low hanging phone lines at 285 north Main Street austintown Ohio 44515

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 years ago

See instruction for down or obstructed lines closing this 3 year old topic to further posting.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.