Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Have dial tone and can receive calls but can't call out

Highlighted
Tutor

Have dial tone and can receive calls but can't call out

I have a ATT landline service. I have both a cordless phones as well as one old fashioned corded phone. Neither work . I get a dialtone but after punching in the numbers, nothing happens. I can receive calls. I looked thru their videos but there was no suggestion on this problem. 

Message 1 of 32
ACE - Professor

Re: Have dial tone and can receive calls but can't call out

Your landline service, is it through U-verse or POTS/Telco?

If it's through U-verse, reboot the gateway/modem. Just unplug its power cord for 10 seconds. Wait until the Phone light turns solid green before making a test call.

If it's through POTS/Telco, call 800-288-2020.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 32
Tutor

pots

Message 3 of 32
ACE - Master

When you push a number do you hear the tone of the number pushed?  If not it could be your phones have somehow gotten set to dial pulse.  If you hear the tone and the dial tone stops after pushing a number it would be a phone company problem.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 32
Tutor

Yes I get a dialtone and a hear the pushtones after punching in every number and then nothing happens.

Message 5 of 32
ACE - Master

If you push a number and the dial tone breaks (stops) than it's a phone company issue, you'll need to report it. You said all phones have the same issue so I doubt all phones quit you at the same time.

Message 6 of 32
Tutor

Ok I will call. I originally went thru the FIX IT page and they said the line was working and if it was inside then it would be 99 bucks so I was trying to trouble shoot it. Thanks

Message 7 of 32
ACE - Master

You could test from the DEMARC to clear all your wiring, but this isn't a wiring problem if that's the only problem you have and you're welcome.

Message 8 of 32
Tutor

So they came out today and said the problem is inside. He asked me if I had DSL so I'm not sure that has something to do with it. 

Message 9 of 32
ACE - Master

Have you tested from the DEMARC/NID?  Don't take their word for it check it yourself.  DSL will give you noise on the line if there is no filter but it will not keep you from breaking dial tone when trying to dial out.  You need to either yourself or get a friend to test this from the DEMARC. 

Message 10 of 32
Tutor

If the DEMARC is the box where the line comes into the house where I can unplug the cord and plug a corded phone in there, yes I can call out there.

Message 11 of 32
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by marlenedz
‎06-07-2017 5:21 PM

Than that prove the trouble in the house.  You have no noise or anything else? You get dial tone but you can't break it and you can receive calls fine.

Disconnect everything you have connected to the phone lines and plug in just the corded phone you said worked from the DEMARC.  If still no go and you have several lines going into your house at the DEMARC disconnect one at a time until you find which one your problem is on, you'll probably have to move your phone around as it may disconnect the one you have the phone on currently.  I can think of nothing that would keep a line from being called out on when you have a clear dial tone and can talk clearly on an incoming call. 

If you have added nor removed anything before this problem started it makes no sense that suddenly you just can't call out because of something in the house.  If you do have DSL and individual filters on each phone you could remove one and see if it makes any difference, this will knock you Internet down if using DSL.   Let us know what you find. 

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 32
Tutor

I love you!! Thank you soooooooooo much. I can dial out. 

I pulled out the 3 filters and unplugged the main cordless unit and the corded phone works fine in all jacks.

The cordless phone now works as well. I believe I may have had a power outage a few days ago as the garage door goes up really sloooow the first time after an outage even though the clocks are not flashing.  The cordless phone and router is in a surge protector and the house has a whole house protector as well, Maybe that had something to do with it.  Weird that my DSL was not affected and I could receive calls and get a dial tone.

Message 13 of 32
ACE - Master

Glad you got it going.

Message 14 of 32
Contributor

still cannot dial out would like to talk to a real person about this problem. We need this phone for emergencies.

Message 15 of 32
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support