Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I still get landline telephone service, Plain Old Telephone System?

Tutor

Can I still get landline telephone service, Plain Old Telephone System?

It looks as if my new home is wired for landline, as there are phone jack outlets in some of the walls.  How much does it cost (I have AT+T) to turn on service, and is it true that land lines will not go out of service as easily as cellular communications, i.e. electrical storms, Armageddon....???  Is this what they now call Plain Old Telephone System (POTS)?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by OLDBELLE
‎07-03-2019 9:50 PM

Re: Can I still get landline telephone service, Plain Old Telephone System?

Unlike VoIP, POTS certainly won't go out if your internet does.   What do you mean exactly by "turn on service"?  Turn on the POTS telephone connection?   Att uverse internet and/or tv?  For uverse stuff there would be an installation fee to convert one of those outlets to uverse. That involves connecting that outlook to where the lines come in from the outside.  Most likely to where you landline comes in.  But you need to check Availability to see if service is even possible for your location, and if so, what level of service.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Employee
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎07-10-2019 10:55 AM

POTS is phone service from the CO, where battery arrays keep service running for a period of time after power loss. The batteries may be backed up by a generator. The same process can be performed at your new home, purchase a UPS battery system and a home generator to power your equipment including refrigeration and freezer. 

POTS is roughly twice as expensive as Uverse Voip, cannot be bundle requiring separate billing, due to non bundling cannot be discounted.

Example only... POTS $2 a day for$60 a month with Uverse Voip bundled discount $20 a month added to Uverse bill.

Either POTS or Voip has a $99 installation...

POTS installed by core CIM tech (landman) with jumper at crossbox, splitter installed at NID and separare wiring. While with Voip installed by Uverse tech from back of gateway.

POTS normally requires calling a different number for repair from Uverse dispatch as different department supports POTS. 

Note if a line issue such as fire or cut line neither will work POTS advantage is strictly power loss. 

For home alarm would recommend cellular service. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

@my thoughts Though I understood your post, most people won’t. Try some more plain English as most customers have no idea what CO, VOIP, NID, CIM tech, etc mean. @OLDBELLE As noted, the only real advantage of a POTS land line is the backup power even if your electricity goes out. Of course, that does no good if the phone you have connected requires electric power. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Tutor

Thank you

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support