OLDBELLE's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2019 7:54 PM

Closed

Can I still get landline telephone service, Plain Old Telephone System?

It looks as if my new home is wired for landline, as there are phone jack outlets in some of the walls.  How much does it cost (I have AT+T) to turn on service, and is it true that land lines will not go out of service as easily as cellular communications, i.e. electrical storms, Armageddon....???  Is this what they now call Plain Old Telephone System (POTS)?  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Unlike VoIP, POTS certainly won't go out if your internet does.   What do you mean exactly by "turn on service"?  Turn on the POTS telephone connection?   Att uverse internet and/or tv?  For uverse stuff there would be an installation fee to convert one of those outlets to uverse. That involves connecting that outlook to where the lines come in from the outside.  Most likely to where you landline comes in.  But you need to check Availability to see if service is even possible for your location, and if so, what level of service.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@my thoughts Though I understood your post, most people won’t. Try some more plain English as most customers have no idea what CO, VOIP, NID, CIM tech, etc mean. @OLDBELLE As noted, the only real advantage of a POTS land line is the backup power even if your electricity goes out. Of course, that does no good if the phone you have connected requires electric power. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Disappointingly, our old analog "POTS" line from AT&T failed completely during the recent PG&E outages.  The only reason we had it was to have an emergency backup.  That backup failed miserably! Shame on AT&T for not being robust against these types of issues. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

4 years ago

@sblock No need to repeatedly post your issue.  See your post in this topic 

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

It's stupid to have removed them.  We are totally at the mercy of satellite/wireless communication and with Russia threatening nuclear war on the west, there is easily a scenario of the new technology rendered useless.  Simple hacking of our systems seems to be a real threat or even destruction of our satellites.  Imagine a whole country with NO communication possibilities.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 years ago

There are better wired technologies these days than POTS.  VOIP over fiber is certainly no worse than POTS in terms of susceptibility to EMF pulses, etc.  You may have a point about interLATA communication, but that has little to do with POTS.

Old topic.  Closing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.