Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T Ohio to Drop Rural Landline Discount

ACE - Guru

AT&T Ohio to Drop Rural Landline Discount

By Mark Williams, The Columbus Dispatch, March 14, 2019

AT&T Ohio has gotten permission from state regulators to drop out of a program that helps poor consumers living in most of its service territory afford telephone service.

AT&T will stop providing Lifeline discounts to the majority of its landline customers on June 11, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio ruled Wednesday. The company serves 7,301 landline customers enrolled in the program in Ohio, many in rural parts of the state, according to the most recent federal data.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 3
ACE - Guru

Re: AT&T Ohio to Drop Rural Landline Discount

I'm curious as to why this post was moved to the AT&T Phone Account forum? I originally put it in the Clubhouse forum just as a topic of interest, intended to spur conversation, since it's not a typical "problem - resolution" post.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACE - Guru
Accepted by davemize
‎03-15-2019 7:27 AM

Re: AT&T Ohio to Drop Rural Landline Discount

My guess would be because it has to do with landline service. I took it as information that was copied from an online newspaper article, all the phone companies are trying to do away with the old copper plant.  Verizon in the northeast was ordered by the FCC and the courts to repair their copper plant.  I'm not going to search for it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find.  Sounds more to me like the PUC in Ohio needs to get a backbone. 

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support