Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
breelise's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, May 21st, 2016 11:55 PM

Using a 3rd Party unlocked phone on existing GoPhone plan

I'm looking into getting from a friend an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S6 that they're getting rid of. My question with doing that is, will it work on AT&T if I pop in my current GoPhone SIM card that is currently sitting in my windows phone? Or will I have to go, get a new number and that whole fun headache? Has anyone ever done this before who can give me some pointers on it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@breelise

If the phone is compatible with ATT, and unlocked as you indicated, yes it will work on ATT with your current SIM card.  If the SIM card is not the same size you can go to an ATT store and have your Gophone balance transferred to a new SIM card.

Depending on which version of the GS6 it is, it may not be fully compatible with ATT and will need the APN settings programmed.  

You can search APN settings (above in orange bar). When you get the phone.  

Former Employee

• 

51 Messages

8 years ago

Well it's a go phone account as long as the sim fits no real reason that would stop you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I'll have to get a new SIM card for it (I went stupid and forget I have a mircoSIM instead of a nano SIM...) But it should work on ATT. I got the phone today, so I'll go into the store later and get one.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

You can cut a larger SIM card down to size.  I've done it.  As long as it is a 4G sim it will at least tide you over.  

I cut my first one, then naught a cutter and adapter kit on Amazon. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.