Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Kortan's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, April 15th, 2018 7:00 AM

Traveling to US and Canada from abroad - best plan?

Hi Community!

We want to visit the US and Canada for about three weeks. 2 of them in the US and the last week in Canada. After checking the different possibilities, I wanted to go with the AT&T Prepaid $45 plan and adding the $5 or $10 international (plus) option for calling home (our home country is within the list). If I get it right, we will be able to use the $45 plan in Canada just as in the US (talk, text and data).

What about the $10 international plus option? Will we be able to use the 250 / 1000 minutes to call to our hime country from Canada to call to our home country?

If there are any better ideas than using the $45 Prepaid-plan I would also be grateful for advice!

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Kortan  In CANADA, inbound international calls are free if you're using the $65 and $85 plan.
 Outbound calls to Canada,USA & Mexico also free if you're using the above plan.
For Outbound calls to other countries like UK,EU,Asia............I suggest you get a long distance calling card like VOX or CiCi for Can $5 to $10 +tax from any Gas/petrol station ,7 Eleven ,Canadian Superstore ,Shoppers drug mart .......etc. Those calling cards got a 1 800 toll free numbers for you to make calls with.It will be cheaper than direct dialing from your roaming AT&T phones.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Kortan

Seems you already have good information.  The only other plan I could suggest is the $85 unlimited data plan.  I don’t recommend the $65 plan because the speed is throttled.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for your quick response @lizdance40 !

The 6GB from the $45 plan seem to be enough data for three weeks.

The main question ist still unanswered: What about calls to country from the international (plus) option? Are these possible and can I use the 250 / 1000 prepaid minutes to make calls from canada?

Terms of service say:

" International Add-on: Includes an allotment of minutes from the U.S. to landline and/or mobile numbers in specific countries. For a list of countries, see att.com/prepaidintLD. International Plus Add-on: Includes an allotment of minutes from the U.S. to landline and/or mobile numbers in specific countries. Can only be added to select monthly plans. For a list of countries and details, see att.com/prepaidintlplus."

If the minutes are not usable from Canada I'd like to know, how much will be charged if making international calls from there (inbound and outbound).

An answer would be much appreciated!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

That’s correct, it won’t cover calls from Canada out of North America.  Those would be charged at pay per use, but not sure what rate.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

OK. Thanks again @lizdance40!

If someone out there could tell me, how much will be charged if I make or receive an international call in Canada, I would be grateful...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you also @adidaskid808 !

I think I will give the (now a little more expensive) $50 plan a try and ask a local AT&T guy about the details! 

If needed the mentioned prepaid-cards seem to be a good add-on. 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Kortan Read all the small print when you buy any Long Distance calling cards.

They are non refundable.Some cards has a connection charge,some cards has a minimum charge per call per minute. Some even charge a premium rate call to India,China,Russia......Please look out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.