Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
jandmvermont's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 2nd, 2018 8:50 PM

Switching between prepaid plans when out of country

I plan to be traveling out of the US for months at a time (minimum 3 months), then back to the US for a short time, then out of the country for another 3 months, etc. While outside the US I will get a local SIM and do not want to be paying for service in the US that I won't be using.  I want to keep the same phone number for the duration.  It was suggested that I get on a monthly prepaid plan while in the us, then change to a $2/day used plan while out of the country.  I won't be using minutes at that time but it will allow me to keep my phone number.  I realize that, when I switch from a monthly prepaid to the 2$ plan before the month ends, I will lose those minutes.  I will need to add enough money to the $2 plan to cover the number of days I will be out of the country.  When I switch back to the monthly plan, will the money in my $2 account be used to pay for the monthly plan?  Is there anything else I should be aware of  when doing this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

There is no $2 account, it is just your account balance and yes, it will be used to pay for your monthly plan whenever you switch to a monthly plan. Say, for example, you refill with $25 before leaving since $25 is good for 90 days. If you return before that $25 expires and pick the $50 plan, you would need to add $25 to your account to pay for that plan. Your best bet might be to add $100 when you leave as a $100 refill is good for a year. Depending on which monthly plan you get, that $100 might cover you for multiple return trips. The one thing to realize is whenever you add more money to your account, you extend the expiration date of your existing balance to match the expiration of the added funds.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.