Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
MaxBurn's profile

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

Saturday, April 30th, 2011 12:08 AM

Swap handsets / move SIM to new phone

Getting a new handset and I am on a fairly new smartphone prepaid plan but I want to use another phone. Is it as simple as moving the SIM to another phone or do I have to do something with AT&T to let them know about it?

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

The stores that knew anything called it a silent launch with the gophone smartphone plans, none of the three stores i went to knew much about it. I had to call in and ask some pointed questions to find out the iphone can go on a prepaid smartphone plan, they did warn me that phone in particular can eat a lot of data which is true. Basically if you are bringing your own phone you can do a blackberry or android if you want, just has to work on the AT&T network. I signed up with my 3gs in store and they recorded my IMEI to start the account, i was not hiding anything. They certainly aren't going to advertise the facts it seems but these gophone smartphone plans are great for us light users that don't want a full blown contract but yet still want email on the road. I was thinking i was going to go verizon till i found this out, now i am happy to be with AT&T.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

"It sounds like your SIM was not activated as part of a GoPhone "package" (GoPhone and SIM purchased together)?  Those are where the phone and SIM are typically "locked" to one another for a certain timeframe after activation; if you obtain a SIM separately (for use in an iPhone, for example), it hasn't been an issue."

That must be it, they got my SIMM out of a box of what looked like several hundred SIM credit cards. It was not bundled with any phone.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@MaxBurn wrote:
"It sounds like your SIM was not activated as part of a GoPhone "package" (GoPhone and SIM purchased together)?  Those are where the phone and SIM are typically "locked" to one another for a certain timeframe after activation; if you obtain a SIM separately (for use in an iPhone, for example), it hasn't been an issue."

That must be it, they got my SIMM out of a box of what looked like several hundred SIM credit cards. It was not bundled with any phone.

Thanks for the confirmation. 🙂

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I have a prepaid Iphone 3G. I just put the sim card in and had to plug into iTunes. It seems the last firmware update was what changed that.

If you are Tech savvy you can unlock the phone and use it. There is a site you surf to with Safari and you can either use the prepaid data packets, or it will block the data and use the Wifi only. I set mine up and I use the full functions of the iPhone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have had my SIM for 2 years. My friend took it out of my iphone 5, unknown to me,  and put it in his phone and it worked. However, after he had returned it to my iphone, my iphone had become blocked. I had to call ATT to have them unblock it. They said the phone had been reported stolen! How does transferring a sim to another phone for a test equate to my iphone being stolen?  After all, if it had been stolen, the thief wouldn't put the original SIM back into my iphone because then it could be tracked with find my iphone! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Unless, of course, you are VERIZON CUSTOMER !!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.