Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
MaxBurn's profile

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

Saturday, April 30th, 2011 12:08 AM

Swap handsets / move SIM to new phone

Getting a new handset and I am on a fairly new smartphone prepaid plan but I want to use another phone. Is it as simple as moving the SIM to another phone or do I have to do something with AT&T to let them know about it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Yes. It's as simple as transferring your SIM card from your current phone to the new one. You should then be all set and ready to use your new phone without any difficulty. 🙂

If your SIM has been in your current phone for less that sixty days, I believe, your SIM card can become locked to the original device it was activated to. But if you've had your phone for a while, you should be absolutely fine.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@MaxBurn wrote:

I had no problem moving it to a new phone. Old phone was a iphone 3Gs and new one was an iphone 4. Used a SIM cutter and it went right in the iphone 4 microsim tray. Can make and receive calls and the data still works fine. Very pleased with ATT now that they are opening things up a bit, verizon getting the iphone seems to have been good for all consumers.

Thanks for letting us know. 🙂 

It sounds like your SIM was not activated as part of a GoPhone "package" (GoPhone and SIM purchased together)?  Those are where the phone and SIM are typically "locked" to one another for a certain timeframe after activation; if you obtain a SIM separately (for use in an iPhone, for example), it hasn't been an issue.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

If you do have any problems with just transferring the SIM, contact customer service (1-800-331-0500 or 611 from your cell phone).  Assuming you meet the requirements for them to "unlock" the SIM from the phone it was originally activated with, they should willingly do so.  I thought the time frame was 6 months; but from what I've seen posted here they also seem to be fairly flexible re: unlocking a SIM so that a user can use it in a different phone - a very common need. 🙂

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks. The account was just started a couple weeks ago so we will swap the SIM and see what happens.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

I thought the time frame was 6 months; but from what I've seen posted here they also seem to be fairly flexible re: unlocking a SIM so that a user can use it in a different phone - a very common need. 🙂

hme83 - I was originally going to post six months for the time frame, but I could have sworn that you "corrected" me the last time a question like this was posted. I thought you said 60 days, unless I am wrong? 😄

Max Burn - You're welcome, and good luck.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
I thought the time frame was 6 months; but from what I've seen posted here they also seem to be fairly flexible re: unlocking a SIM so that a user can use it in a different phone - a very common need. 🙂

hme83 - I was originally going to post six months for the time frame, but I could have sworn that you "corrected" me the last time a question like this was posted. I thought you said 60 days, unless I am wrong? 😄

Max Burn - You're welcome, and good luck.

lol.  Well, I'm not going to say you are "wrong" as there is no telling what I may have said. 😉  But the 60 days reference is generally to the amount of time before at&t deactivates your account/SIM/phone number after the expiration date of your last refill.  AFAIK, the "official" time frame for un-"marrying" a prepaid SIM to it's device is 6 months; but I've also seen 90 days stated, plus just from the posts I see out here it seems that at&t is actually pretty flexible re: doing so well in advance of that if the user has a legitimate reason for the request.  And not liking your phone/wanting to use a different one seems like a very reasonable reason. 🙂

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@MaxBurn wrote:

Thanks. The account was just started a couple weeks ago so we will swap the SIM and see what happens.

Please let us know what happens - as it's always useful information.  Most of the time we only know what the current state of "reality" seems to be based on what actual customers indicate their recent experiences have been. 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

lol.  Well, I'm not going to say you are "wrong" as there is no telling what I may have said. 😉  But the 60 days reference is generally to the amount of time before at&t deactivates your account/SIM/phone number after the expiration date of your last refill.  AFAIK, the "official" time frame for un-"marrying" a prepaid SIM to it's device is 6 months; but I've also seen 90 days stated, plus just from the posts I see out here it seems that at&t is actually pretty flexible re: doing so well in advance of that if the user has a legitimate reason for the request.  And not liking your phone/wanting to use a different one seems like a very reasonable reason. 🙂

I don't know about you, but I'm going to stick with what I initially thought - 6 months that the SIM is locked to the phone. I think that seems fair. 😉

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

I had no problem moving it to a new phone. Old phone was a iphone 3Gs and new one was an iphone 4. Used a SIM cutter and it went right in the iphone 4 microsim tray. Can make and receive calls and the data still works fine. Very pleased with ATT now that they are opening things up a bit, verizon getting the iphone seems to have been good for all consumers.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

iPhone 3GS? iPhone 4? On prepaid account? 😄 Man, I knew you could use them! According to AT&T policy, iPhones are not intended/"authorized" for use with prepaid accouts, but I am starting to believe that policy is misleading. I'm seeing more people having a prepaid iPhone month and month...wish I could have gotten a 3G/3GS, now. I've actually been thinking about getting one lately as a "replacement" for my Captivate (really like the phone though) and my iPod touch (use it every day!)

Anyway, it truly is awesome that everything works like it should, especially in an iPhone 4! You have defied the odds, actually being quite risky into getting the 4 with a prepaid account...but look at the payoff - a cheap-to-operate top-of-the-line prepaid smartphone right in your hand! Congratulations. 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.