Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Koal's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 5:18 PM

Samsung - Captivate SGH i897, Galaxy s2 or Galaxy s3 - which will work on Go Phone?

I am new to the forum. I have been a Go Phone user since 2003!  I have a LG Thrive I use on the $25 monthly with a $5 data package. I wish to stay with the same monthly plan and data package. My Thrive just doesn't have enough internal memory, so I am looking at the Samsung Models I listed. I prefer just to put in my sim card and everything including my data will work. Does anyone have any opinions on which will be easiest to use on Go Phone? It seems the S3 might need more set up since it is 4g...

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

I should let you know that you have listed some very good choices. 😉

All three Galaxy models are compatible to be used as a GoPhone. The original Captivate i897 will be the easiest because all you have to do is transfer your current SIM card from your Thrive and begin to use the phone immediately. Data should work if you buy the package.

I don't remember for certain if the S II is "4G" capable (HSPA+, not LTE) and it may require a specific SIM card to utilize "4G" speeds. It wouldn't really matter anyway if there isn't anything better than 3G in your current area.

Now, the S III is LTE capable. You will likely not be able to use those REAL 4G speeds on the GoPhone network. Again, this depends on if you live in an area where 4G LTE has been deployed by AT&T. The S III also uses a smaller sized SIM card called a nano-SIM, so you will have to get a new SIM card if you were to opt for the S III.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks! I did some investigating on the Galaxy Sll. There are 2 models. i777 the older is 3g, the i727 galaxy sll Skyrocket is 4g.

I think the i777 is the regular size sim - still waiting for confirmation on that, and according to the Samsung website the Skyrocket is the small sim card. I am trying to avoid getting a new small sim since my current sim card has all my contacts and Go Phone account balance.  I am also concerned that with the Skyrocket or Slll I might need to change the apn settings to work on the Go Phone. 4G LTE is available in my area, but I assume not available to Go Phone users.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

I would totally agree with you. You might have to change the APN settings if you were to opt for the S II Skyrocket/S III. I'd play it safe and get either the original i897 or the original S II instead of the SII Skyrocket. I don't think 4G LTE is available for GoPhone users, either, unfortunately.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks to the excellent help and posts on this forum, I choose the Samsung Galaxy i727 Skyrocket. I already had a newer sim card in my old LG Thrive, thankfully it worked! Changing the APN was a snap and my data package was up and running. The phone works great changing seamlessly from my data package to my home U Verse wireless.

The Samsung is new, branded for AT&T ( yep, has the AT&T apps ) but is unlocked. Although it is a 4G LTE phone it is also listed as 3G capable.  3G is fine for me 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Great choice! We also appreciate you coming back to let us know about your final decision; not many people return once they get their solution.

Enjoy your new phone! 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

i have the unlocked samsung galaxy s3 and i need to get the go phone micro sim card i need to know how i can get one or if they are free someone please help me out with this thx

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@emoroxstar wrote:

i have the unlocked samsung galaxy s3 and i need to get the go phone micro sim card i need to know how i can get one or if they are free someone please help me out with this thx

You have either one of three choices depending on your circumstances: 

• If you are an existing customer and you have a regular sized SIM you can trim it down using a microSIM cutter (less than $5 on eBay) to transform it into a microSIM. This is the route I personally went. Plain and simple.

• If you are not an existing customer, you can purchase a microSIM online from eBay or Amazon and activate it yourself. Again, the SIM should cost less than $5.

• Whether an existing customer or a new one, you can walk into any AT&T store and request a prepaid microSIM. It's been said that if you add money to your account while you are in-store, they will waive the cost of the SIM card, although some of them are automatically free. The regular price for them in-store is $25 if they do not waive the cost.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.