Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
dmke's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 24th, 2012 1:32 AM

SIM card and Prepaid Plan for US visitor

I will be visiting the US from Australia for 3 weeks next Month (September).  I would like to use a US phone service rather than the very expensive global roaming from my Australian provider.  So I would like to get a SIM card, prepaid "plan" and some data access (100-200MB).  How can I best do this?  I will be arriving at LAX and then transferring to Portland, OR, and late to Milwaukee.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

12 years ago

My suggestion will be very much like ilikewireless, not only you need to made sure your Australia phone is carrier unlocked,and it can work on 2G GSM 850,1900 Band. Australia is using 2G GSM 900,1800 Band.
For your Australia phone,the 3G may not work well in USA .
Get your AT&T service in Portland OR, No state sales tax and no E911access fee 🙂

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@dmke wrote:

I will be visiting the US from Australia for 3 weeks next Month (September).  I would like to use a US phone service rather than the very expensive global roaming from my Australian provider.  So I would like to get a SIM card, prepaid "plan" and some data access (100-200MB).  How can I best do this?  I will be arriving at LAX and then transferring to Portland, OR, and late to Milwaukee.

If your phone is carrier unlocked, you can use a GoPhone SIM card and refill cards.

You might be able to get the SIM card and refill cards online to receive them just in time at your Australian address. The other option is to buy the cards at an AT&T store when you arrive at Portland.

You can activate and add airtime only when you are in the US.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hey everyone sorry for the late reply but Im in the same situation with dmke!
Im visiting NY next month (January) and I want a prepaid number with data plan for my European unlocked iPhone 4S.

I saw the GoPhone plans but probably you have to buy a phone too along with the plan. Thats not a big problem, because I can buy a $20 device but then can I use the SIM card on my iPhone? If yes then we have another issue, iPhone uses microSIM. Can ATT provide from the start with this or it has to be regular SIM for the $20 device?

If someone knows more about this or dmke can tell us how finally did it in US, I would be thankful. 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

I am not a big fan of iPhone,But as you know, iPhone & IPad are using Micro Sim,all $20 device Gophone package are come with a regular sim card. You may better off go to a AT&T store and let them help you from there. You may not need to buy a phone,but you may need to pay for your new micro Sim Card with no credit on it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I myself will be over here from the UK for 3 months and would like to order the Prepaid SIM online in advance of my departure, so I can circulate my US number in advance as well as to use it immediately on arrival.

However the Prepaid SIM plan, GoPhone, despite saying on the website can be purchased on a standalone SIM, always takes me to the next step to choose a phone which I don't want.  Have I missed a link or is there no way round it when trying to order online?

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Sorry mate,AT&T sim card on AT&T website are ship to US address only.
And you need an US credit card to place your order.
Just like Vodafone UK, o2,Orange UK, T mobile UK,Giffgaff....etc etc

They don't ship Sim cards to oversea address or do top up with an overseas credit card.

Maybe you can try ebay??
But the AT&T sim they sell on ebay are mostly with no credit or unactive.....you maybe better off using your UK network roaming for a few days and get your Sim card in USA.

Hope that's help, Cheers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I don't have a provider with my prepaid sim , I would like to use my number and sign up with mobile share plan. Can I do that?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.