Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Reynoso's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 18th, 2017 1:50 AM

Prepaid iPhone Unlock

Hi,

I just bought a brand new AT&T Prepaid iPhone and I would like to have unlocked. However, I just I found out that I can't do that because it must be under service for 6 months. The phone is a gift for overseas, which is why I need it unlocked. I have already tried unlocking the device on AT&T's website but no luck...

I was thinking of subscribing to AT&T with the new phone so that it gets registered under their network and then just switching the sim card to my personal phone. This way I can still use the phone as a gift and it would be unlocked after 6 months, but just not sure if that would count as "active service". Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

ATT will not unlock it and you cannot trick the system.

The phone is locked by IMEI, not by your account.  Nothing can be done.  If you want an unlocked phone, Buy one that IS unlocked.  Best Buy sells unlocked androids that are specifically unlocked, so does Amazon.  ATT, Sprint, T-mobile and every carrier except Verizon sells LOCKED phones.  

Minimum service requirements are up to 12 months for some.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

You should review the tone by which you respond, that's how you lose customers.

I wasn't trying to "trick" the system like you implied, since I would still be paying for a service which is what AT&T wants. Out of all that you explained, all I needed was "The phone is locked by IMEI, not by your account."

Thanks for the response anyway.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Reynoso That response was from another customer, not an ATT employee. This is a customer to customer forum, not customer support. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.