Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Momo741's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 8:29 AM

Closed

Prepaid Phone activation fee?

So, a couple of days ago I went to my local att store to buy a prepaid gophone. But as I was paying for everything I was told that there was a $25 activation fee since I've never had an account.
My question is, is there really a $25 activation fee?

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

There is no activation fee on gophone accounts. Most likely they charged you $25 for the first activation amount.

if you activated a non-COR store they might have charged you for the SIM card. Usually the SIM's cost anywhere from $10 to $15 dollars and the other amount could have been your refill.

Check your receipt and see what exactly it was, or visit the store and find out what it was.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

This the the line where I was charged $25

Code FE-PHONE-ACT

Description PHONE ACTIVATION FEE

Category FE

For the sim card I didn't have to pay anything.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

What plan are you using with your GoPhone? The $25 monthly plan, perhaps?

Prepaid plans do not have activation fees, so if you we're charged, you should consider returning to the store for a refund.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

When I bought the phone they said that I would get $60 prepaid airtime with the phone and that I would be able to change my plan later if I wanted to do so. The $25 dollar activation fee they said was for opening an account with them since I had never had one.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

I have never heard of an activation fee for GoPhone, the store you visted was not an AT&T Company store. I would seriously consider returning your service if you can because you should have not been charged a fee. 

Additionally I would suggest sending ATTCustomerCare a message so feedback can be directed though the proper channels. 

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, the $25 "activation fee" was not necessary because GoPhone does not charge any fees for the activation of any type of account, whether it's a new or existing account. If you still have your receipt, I would recommend going back to the store and getting a refund if it's not too much of a hassle for you. Feel free to show the employee/manager this information should you run into any trouble.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

10 years ago

There is NO activation fees for prepaid service, I recommend getting a refund, and going to an "authorized retailer".

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have an old gophone from last year and was told yesterday, at the AT&T store, there would be an activation fee along with a refill amount...

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@elle101 wrote:

I have an old gophone from last year and was told yesterday, at the AT&T store, there would be an activation fee along with a refill amount...

That is incorrect information. Activation fees apply to postpaid/contract service accounts ONLY. There are no activation fees associated with prepaid GoPhone service whatsoever. If you were charged for an activation fee, I would consider returning to the AT&T store that you visited and request a refund. 

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

10 years ago

Is the authorized dealer or a third party store that try to make some money by charging you an activation fee. Those money goes into those individual store pocket, nothing to do with att company at all.

Always ask the store if they are a corporate owned store or a authorized retail store. There's a big difference.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.