Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
jimcpl's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, December 13th, 2013 2:01 AM

Newbie questions

Hi,

I am interested in getting an unlocked phone working on Go Phone, with just a pay per minute plan, and am a bit confused.

My understanding is that I have to first purchase a Go Phone SIM card, so I was looking at AT&T's website.  I have the impression that I should be able get/purchase a SIM card at a local AT&T store, and there seem to be tons of them in my area (northern Virginia), but when I search on AT&T's website for stores that have Go Phone SIMs available, even "beyond" near where I am, it seems to indicate that they are all "out of stock".

Is this generally the case, that you can't buy/get these SIM cards at local stores, and only can get them via online purchase?

Also, am I correct that I somehow get one of these SIM cards that if a phone that I have meets the specs (band/frequency) that AT&T lists on their BYOD page(s), that I should be able to get service (I'm mainly/only interested in voice calling)?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you can use the sim card to any AT&T locked and unlocked phones. Also, you can get one free or change it to different size for free from any AT&T local store.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

As an alternative, I also already have an Go Phone Alcatel 510A on order from AT&T along with a $25.00 Go Phone Refill card.

I'm assuming that the 510A should come with a Go Phone SIM card?

And, if so, should I be able to use that Go Phone SIM card in my unlocked phone and also use the $25 refill card credit to make per-minute calls with the unlocked phone?

Thanks,
Jim

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

10 years ago

Often the online inventory does not match what is actually in the store.  When you do a store search note that there are "retail" stores and "company" stores.  You are more likely to find what you need at a company store.  I bought a used Nokia gophone on ebay.  I took it to a company store, They installed the sim card and activated it, ported in my number on the spot.  I think it took 10 minutes.  I would recommend calling the store to see if they have the sims in stock.  I can't imagine them running out of sim cards.  

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Rickochet,
 Good suggestion,Call ahead and ask if they are "retail" stores or "company" stores.
Most AT&T "company" store can active your phone or switch SIM card in less than 5 mins.

I also got a free AT&T  Nano Sim card for my IPad Air 2 weeks ago, when I visited an AT&T company store in Niagara Falls NY.  Smiley Happy

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

10 years ago

@adidaskid808 wrote:

Hi Rickochet,
 Good suggestion,Call ahead and ask if they are "retail" stores or "company" stores.
Most AT&T "company" store can active your phone or switch SIM card in less than 5 mins.

I also got a free AT&T  Nano Sim card for my IPad Air 2 weeks ago, when I visited an AT&T company store in Niagara Falls NY.  Smiley Happy

When you do an online store search on the ATT website it identifies what type of store it is.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Don't think the online store search on the ATT website help.
Phone call to the store are the best!!
I still remember what happen to me 2 years ago with a "retail" store but AT&T website show up as "company" store !!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.