Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
bbiandov's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 6:19 AM

New $50/month unlimited prepaid plan. Could it be really $50 to activate?

The new $50/month unlimited prepaid plan sounds great.

However could it be really $50 to activate new service; get a number and SIM or will I be forced to buy a phone? Or may be pay activation fee if I already have my own phone?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

@bbiandov wrote:
So you were NOT "required" to buy a phone?

No, I have activated SIM's from Ebay as GoPhone and I could put them in any AT&T, Cingular or unlocked GSM phone.  (Although iphone may be an exception.  I have never used an iphone).  I have bought SIM's for as low as $2 on Ebay.  I also like to keep a spare SIM on hand, in case I lose my phone or the SIM goes bad.  I have never had one go bad, but I have heard that it can happen, especially if one is moving it between different phones.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@Dr. Richard Kimble wrote:

@bbiandov wrote:

No, I have activated SIM's from Ebay as GoPhone and I could put them in any AT&T, Cingular or unlocked GSM phone.  (Although iphone may be an exception.  I have never used an iphone).  I have bought SIM's for as low as $2 on Ebay.  I also like to keep a spare SIM on hand, in case I lose my phone or the SIM goes bad.  I have never had one go bad, but I have heard that it can happen, especially if one is moving it between different phones.

Quite true. The SIM can go bad, especially if static discharge gets to it and even the phone can go bad because the static discharge can get to internal parts of the phone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

No, you are not required to purchase a phone along with a new SIM if you already have one to use. You can buy a new SIM individually without having a new phone attached to the bundle.

Scholar

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

Where did you get the idea that there is a charge to activate?  It is prepaid, so you pay in advance.  Hence, you need to have at least $50 in your account to cover your first month. That is not an activation fee.   I have activated prepaid accounts with SIM's from Ebay.  I have not had to have any money in the account to activate, but if I want to use the service, I have to put some money in the account to pay for whatever plan/minutes I want.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

thank you everyone for the quick replies. I'll be getting one of those unlimited plans for testing a rover ASAP.

boyan

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome. 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.