Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
amberchris555's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 1:35 PM

My charges don't make sense

Yesterday I made two calls on my phone and it appears that I overpaid.  My first call lasted 2 mins and 55 seconds according to the message at the end of my call and I was charged 40cents.  I am on a ten cents a minute plan so that is 10cents extra.  My second call I was charged 80cents for a call that was way under 8 minutes.  This may sound like peanuts, but I never really checked in the past and started wondering how long this has been going on.

Today I checked my online account and according to my online account I was charged correctly because the calls listed online were much longer.  For instance, my first call was listed as close to 4 minutes.  What gives?  Why the mixed message?  I would think the info that I get from AT&T on my phone as to how long I've been on should be correct.

Anyone know what is going on?

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

As soon as you press SEND or a similar key, the clock starts ticking.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I understand that, but it does not take a full minute between hitting send and speaking, trust me.  Also, if at the end of the call I am told that I used up 4 minutes of airtime, then that is what I used up.  I should not have any surprises.  I don't recall in the past being told that I used 4 minutes and was then charged 50 cents, let's say.  This seems to be a newer issue.  Of course, since we are the low class of phone users, we gophoners, it is not easy to just email this question to somone.  We don't have such priveldges. 

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

From the Plan Terms:

"Charges: Voice usage is deducted in full-minute increments with partial minutes rounded up to the next full minute at the end of each call."

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Yes, I understand that.  If you see my first comment I said that my one call lasted 2 min and 55 seconds which rounded up should cost me 30 cents and not the 40 cents I was charged.  That is rounding up  and then some.  Do you realize how much money is made if you overcharge each phone call a go phone user makes by a minimum of 10 cents per call?

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@amberchris555 wrote:

Yes, I understand that.  If you see my first comment I said that my one call lasted 2 min and 55 seconds which rounded up should cost me 30 cents and not the 40 cents I was charged.  That is rounding up  and then some.  Do you realize how much money is made if you overcharge each phone call a go phone user makes by a minimum of 10 cents per call?

Here's the math:

Call Time for Billing Purpose = RoundUp ( Time from SEND to pickup + Call Timer Value from Call Log in the Phone)

Assume that the time from SEND to pickup = 15 seconds

Call Time for Billing Purpose  = RoundUp (15 sec + 2 minutes 55 sec) = RoundUp (3 minutes 10 sec) = 4 minutes.

@Cost to you = 4 minutes @ $0.10 = $0.40

I can be wrong. If so, anyone can correct me.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

Thank you drumn_bass 🙂

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

This now makes sense though it is shady on AT&Ts part.  They count from send, but the phone counts from pick up.  Now I see the difference.  So the info the phone shows you is basically worthless as to how much time you using and being charged for.   Do all companies do that?

Is this someting new however.  It seems to me that before, if I hung up before anyone picked up or before a machine picked up there was no charge.  Last night I noticed that when I hung up without anyone picking up the phone, I was still charged 10 cents.  I don't remember that happening before.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

@amberchris555 wrote:

This now makes sense though it is shady on AT&Ts part.  They count from send, but the phone counts from pick up.  Now I see the difference.  So the info the phone shows you is basically worthless as to how much time you using and being charged for.   Do all companies do that?

Is this someting new however.  It seems to me that before, if I hung up before anyone picked up or before a machine picked up there was no charge.  Last night I noticed that when I hung up without anyone picking up the phone, I was still charged 10 cents.  I don't remember that happening before.

I just switched to AT&T yesterday.  I had net10 previously.  I noticed this same thing and am sad about it. Net10 only started the clock once the phone was answered so I could call and hang up before they answered and there would be no charge.  Those cents add up.  And  ring time?  That is crazy as well.  So now I am dependent on how long it takes my friend to answer the phone...

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Crazy huh?  Wonder if the same is true if you don't use a go phone or if this is one more way to stomp on those of us that don't need a phone to breathe.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I'm in the same boat.  If the phone states the amount of time connected to call, that is what you should be charged.  This never happened with my old ATT phone.  Me thinks they've started bilking us out of 10 seconds on every call.  The phone tracks the time from when you hit the send button & displays the total amount of time for the call.  So when the call says 55 seconds & you're charged 20 cents on a 10 cents/minute plan, you just got screwed out of a minute.

Thanks for your money, sucker!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.