Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
mpmccarthy's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, April 23rd, 2018 8:46 PM

Mobile phone insurance cancelled in plan change

I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus 32 GB with insurance from AT&T in 04/2015.  In June/2016 the phone developed technical problems and an Apple rep made necessary notations so that I could use the insurance.  I received a iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB replacement for $99.  I think the wait time was 1 day.  I was happy with the service.  I paid off the phone (90 payments) in 08/2017.  A few months ago, I decided to change plans as I was paying what I thought was too much for just a gig or two per month at over $65 per month.  I went with the pre-pay at $45 per month.  I receive no billing statement so I had no idea that I didn't have insurance.  When I signed up for the insurance at AT&T it was a separate transaction.  I recently had my phone stolen.  Now I find out that I have no coverage.  I don't recall the sales rep telling me that the insurance would be cancelled. I wouldn't have accepted such a plan especially considering that I had found the insurance helpful.  The insurance price was not to expensive.  About $9 mo.  But when I try speaking to AT&T they say there is nothing they can do.  The store said they tell everyone they will lose their insurance.  I wonder, how many people are they talking into changing plans that have insurance beside me. Same with Asurion.  I cannot believe this bad dream is happening.  I have called corporate which a person took the info and after a couple days called and said nothing can be done. Why didn't I receive some sort of written notice either from Asurion or from AT&T specifically stating that my insurance had been cancelled.  I think this is really bad business.  I'm still hoping that AT&T will do something to try and rectify this.  I would have never knowingly cancelled the insurance, especially since I'd used it to my satisfaction before.     

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

You didn’t just change plans, you changed from postpaid to prepaid. That is the equivalent of porting your number to another carrier. In effect, you cancelled your postpaid account which means you also cancelled your insurance. Why should there be a notice? You asked for the change. 

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Insurance just isnt available through at&t on prepaid. Surely you knew you were no longer paying the $9 a month if your $45 plan wasnt $54?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

I’ve been on this forum a long time and this is a first. I’ve never seen anyone complain about losing insurance when moving from postpaid to prepaid. I presume that’s because as noted above, most realize insurance is not available on prepaid. It’s also a first because most folks complain how insurance is a ripoff. Rarely do we see someone say it was worth it. You might want to recalculate how beneficial your insurance coverage really was. You said you had insurance from 4/15 to 8/17, 28 months. That’s $252 in premiums plus $99 for that first replacement deductible, meaning you have paid $351 so far. It’s been 8 months since you switched plans and stopped paying for the insurance. That’s another $72 in premiums. Add another $99 deductible and that would have brought your total paid for insurance to $522. You could get a brand new iPhone 6, not a refurb, for $250 or less. It would have cost you less to buy brand new phones each time than get an insurance refurb.

Regardless, ATT is not going to fix anything because from their perspective, they did nothing wrong. Insurance is not available on prepaid, period. You haven’t been paying a premium for about 8 months now. No insurance carrier will honor a claim when you quit paying the premium.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I signed up for insurance separately with AT&T and assumed it was still on my phone.  Yes, the price was cheaper, but I knew of people at the time getting unlimited with other carriers for like $50 so for me it wasn't a big stretch to get a few more gigs and think I was still insurance at $45 plus tax.  Seems phone plans change monthly and I've been told to check back frequently for specials.  I received no notice that the insurance was cancelled.  The Service Summary doesn't mention it.  I didn't receive any email or mail saying my insurance has been cancelled.  That I think is wrong.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for your comments.  Firstly, I don't understand why insurance isn't available for a prepaid account.  Seems like it is normal for you, but I don't understand why it just didn't carry over instead of now being told, you can't have insurance on a prepaid account.  Why???  I only recently changed plans.  Asurion said that they dropped my coverage on February 4, 2018.  The AT&T Prepaid Customer Service Summary isn't dated but says Payment Start Date is 03/02/2018.  Nothing is mentioned in the Summary about no insurance.  I received no notification by email or snail mail to alert me that my insurance had been cancelled and if there was a discrepancy to please call.  Anytime I have cancelled any insurance type product, I absolutely receive notification from the carrier.  That seems to be the way changes are notified to customers.  Had I received a notification, I would have gone back and returned to my previous plan.  For me, the insurance has been worth it for emergencies.  Just as I have auto, life and other insurance policies, they might cost, but sometimes they pay and better to have than not in an emergency.  AT&T would offer me a little over $100 had I traded the phone in for an upgrade.  But to replace it, they are now saying I must pay $600.  Just isn't right from where I come from.  I've spoken to several AT&T people as well as friends who all say its a raw deal.  AT&T could do something to make it right but offer absolutely nothing though they say they hope I wont leave them.  Great incentive.       

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

It appears from some of the replies, that y'all are pretty much experts on the mobile phone programs.  I never realized that changing plans from postpaid to prepaid was as you say "equivalent to porting your number to another carrier"  I had no clue.  Well, regarding a notice, most professional companies send out reminders of changes either by snail mail or email on a whole host of things to keep the consumer aware and for confirmation purposes.  Its just good business practice (whether you agree or not).

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Prepaid doesn't have insurance for a few reasons. One, you don't have a bill to bill deductible on to, insurance uses your personal information to verify who you are and prepaid doesn't have any of your personal information besides your name on it, they don't an account to bill if you don't return the phone. The plan you are on is $45 for the plan itself. It sounds like you asked for this plan since you went to swap to it. It should have occurred to you the $9 did carry over with it

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks. I’m learning a lot more than I wanted about mobile phone plans. I know at the end of the day it is “buyer beware”. I apparently dropped the ball big time in missing this whole insurance issue. I still think when a person drops insurance, a follow-up notification should be sent to the customer. Just good business practice.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@mpmccarthy

If you buy an iPhone 6 for $600, you’re  paying too much.  You can buy a brand new one for under $300 on EBay.  

Best Buy carries only the 32 gig version for $200, on its prepaid rack. 

I am among those that thinks insurance is too expensive for what it does.  With all the years and phones I figure we saved $5000 - $7000 in premiums alone by NOT having insurance.  In all that time we only had 3 losses.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Im used to buying new but will take your suggestion about used and no insurance.  Mobile phones have become a very expensive service to have.  I’ve also learned there’s not much respect towards the big carriers from people I’ve been talking to.  But they’ve got most of the market to themselves and most are stuck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.