Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Mobile hotspot is not working on GoPhone $45 plan

Highlighted

Mobile hotspot is not working on GoPhone $45 plan

Hi! 

I switched to AT&T GoPhone plan $45 several months ago and since then mobile hotspot doesn't work on my phone.

I had iPhone 6 with AT&T Mobile Share, hotspot worked flawlessly. After switching to GoPhone 3GB plan it doesn't work anymore. I tried using several other devices but they also exibit same problem.

Mobile internet works on all of these devices, LTE, 5 full bars. It's just the sharing part doesn't work for some reason.

I can start mobile hotspot, any other device can successfully connect to it but when these devices try to access internet through hotspot's wifi, they see following webpage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxreomoljcpiv47/Screenshot%202016-02-21%2000.25.18.png?dl=0

"AT&T Free Msg: It looks like you want to use data but have none available. You may need to add a data package, refill to use pay-per-use data or change to a plan that supports data. To check your plan and manage your account, start at att.com/mygophone. If you just made a payment for your monthly plan with data, power your device off and back on, then try again."

This is a webpage that device (connected to hotspot's wifi) sees right after connecting to wifi or when browsing internet. 

I have a lot of data available:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yj29oezuyacc3a/Screenshot%202016-02-21%2000.28.30.png?dl=0

I tried:

1) rebooting device (iPhone 6 with AT&T sim, factory unlocked).

2) using another device (Lumia 950, factory unlocked) with AT&T sim to start hotspot

3) connecting to hotspot from different devices (another iPhone, another Lumia, several Macbooks Pro, several iPads).

4) hardware resetting device with AT&T sim (iPhone 6 and also Lumia 950) to make sure it's not broken settings or something else.

Technical support goes over script and suggests to turn on/off WiFi, cellular data, hotspot, hosting device, connecting device and none of these things help.

My best guess is that it is a some kind of glitch in my AT&T account after switching from Wireless to GoPhone.

Message 1 of 25
Community Support

Re: Mobile hotspot is not working on GoPhone $45 plan

Hello! @iphoneorlumia thank you for posting your concerns and I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with tethering.

At this time we do not offer mobile hotspot capabilities with any of our GoPhone phone plans.

These are available with our postpaid mobile plans.

If however, you have a tablet or mobile hotspot device, you can sign up for GoPhone data only plans which include tethering.

This information can be found at  http://brochures-mst.myscan.mobi/go_phone/ under the title ‘Tablet & mobile hotspot plans.’

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kevin

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 25
ACE - Expert

@ATTMobilityCare

Are you kidding?   The page you link specifically says the OP CAN use the mobile hotspot on his phone.   

image.jpeg

@iphoneorlumia.  

Please call support (611 from your call phone) and have them enable your hotspot.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 25

Regarding 'only $60 plan has hotspot'. 

I am looking right now at my plan details and it is clearly stated that the plan has mobile hotspot enabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp95fvineovvlyh/Screenshot%202016-02-23%2010.05.33.png?dl=0

-----

Data

Data for Smartphone: Includes 2 GB of high-speed data. Data usage exceeding the 2 GB high-speed allowance will result in reduced data speeds of up to 128 Kbps for the rest of your 30-day term. Actual speeds vary by device capability and location. A high - speed data package is available for an additional charge. If you have a capable smartphone, you can use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot to share your data with other devices.

----

Is this a misleading claim by AT&T or false advertising?

Message 4 of 25
ACE - Expert

@iphoneorlumia

Please ignore the response from Mobility and call and have the hot spot enabled on your phone.  You can use it on both $45 and $60 plan.

I will assume they misunderstood your post, thinking you had a mifi device.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 25

Easy to say. I followed your advice and had to spend one more hour on the phone going through diagnostics and rebooting the phone and hearing "everything should work".

If you know, what magic phrase I should say so ATT guys understand me over phone, please tell me this phrase.

During one of the sessions with technical support, Lindsey from technical support team said that (ta-daam!) mobile hotspot doesn't work on $45 plan because this plan has unlimited (but slow) internet so in these cases ATT doesn't allow to do hotspot.

3 times I asked if she is sure, and she confirmed all 3 times. 

What a surprise, no one inside ATT knows what should work and why.

On the other hand, iPhone 6 with another SIM with exactly same $45 plan shares internet completely fine. So the glitch is somewhere in the account and happened during migrating from Wireless to GoPhone.

Technical support tried: a) removing and adding mobile hotspot feature to my account b) suspending and resuming whole account activity 

None of these things help.

Problem still remains.

Message 6 of 25
ACE - Expert

Good grief. 

Send a message to @ATTMobilityCare and see if they will straighten this out.  There is a possibility they changed the rules, but the link clearly says otherwise.  It might be that the SIM card needs to be reprovisioned.  Dunno.  I just know it should be in the $45 and $60 account.

Message 7 of 25

Okay, next update on the issue.

I headed to the AT&T store at 1050 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC.

With these guys we tested several things and here are the results:

1) on Lumia 950 unlocked with GoPhone AT&T sim (prepaid) hotspot doesn't work as expected

2) on Lumia 950 unlocked with Mobile Share AT&T sim (postpaid) hotspot works as expected

3) on Lumia 950 AT&T branded both GoPhone and Mobile Share (prepaid and postpaid) sim cards work as expected.

My hope is that someone can fix that glitch.

As I have GoPhone sim card, the problem still remains at that time.

Message 8 of 25

Problem is still there. Nobody found a solution.

Message 9 of 25
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎12-01-2016 11:30 AM

iphoneorlumia wrote:

Okay, next update on the issue.

I headed to the AT&T store at 1050 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC.

With these guys we tested several things and here are the results:

1) on Lumia 950 unlocked with GoPhone AT&T sim (prepaid) hotspot doesn't work as expected

2) on Lumia 950 unlocked with Mobile Share AT&T sim (postpaid) hotspot works as expected

3) on Lumia 950 AT&T branded both GoPhone and Mobile Share (prepaid and postpaid) sim cards work as expected.

My hope is that someone can fix that glitch.

As I have GoPhone sim card, the problem still remains at that time.

"Lumia 950 unlocked with GoPhone"

Ah ha.  You left that part out.  It's a non ATT phone.  Tethering is a carrier feature, built into the phones, but has to be compatible with carrier settings.  Current iPhones are, even on Gophone, but most other phones are not.  I now own 3 unlocked non ATT phones and have been warned they will not get some features ATT includes in my, or other plans.  I don't get HD voice, and my hotspot won't work on prepaid ( it does work on postpaid)

Unfortunately, there is no resolution, either swap plans, phones, or accept you can't tether with this phone.

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 25

I don't accept this answer.

I've spent hours trying to figure this out and it's ridiculous. The hostpot feature clearly works, it's something within AT&T's system that is preventing it from working on our prepaid plans. 

I've spent hours talking with support about this. AT&T's customer support is terrible, they know nothing.

After having my case resolution delayed for 3 weeks (and closed without resolution) I set up a special call with a support person and her resolution was "It's not included on your gophone plan". Really last straw, I'm always courteous to the tech people but I did hang up on this one. Simply unacceptable. 

Message 11 of 25
Tutor

I came across this forum because I was having an issue with enabling hotspot on a recently opened $45 gophone account, using an Apple unlocked iPhone 6S (non ATT specific phone).  All it took was to do a hard restart on my phone (pressing the power and home button at the same time, keeping them pressed and release only until has restarted and the apple logo is displayed). After that, the Personal Hotspot option was available on my phone to be turned on and off at will.

Message 12 of 25
ACE - Expert

@Maxdom

The only exception to the "must be an ATT branded phone" is the iPhone.  

Im surprised you had a problem at all.  

Message 13 of 25
Tutor

A quote from the OP: "I had iPhone 6 with AT&T Mobile Share, hotspot worked flawlessly. After switching to GoPhone 3GB plan it doesn't work anymore".

It could be that my issue was totally unrelated to the OP's issue, but I had it noneless, untill hard restarting it.

Message 14 of 25
ACE - Expert

@Maxdom  Did you read the follow up posts from support?   Color them sheepish.  

The only thing more daft than the response is the limits ATT places on non carrier phones.

Message 15 of 25
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support