Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
robinlangner's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, April 21st, 2012 1:31 PM

GoPhone as an USA visitor vacation?

Hey since I read the new tariff structure, I want to know if its still possible to obtain a data package for my florida vacation as an non US resident as prepaid. Im only interested in mobile data with my smartphone. I already bought a AT&T Sim Card which isnt activated yet Do I understand it right, that if I order the $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan ALL data is included? I want to use the data with my iphone or nokia lumina only. or do I have to book another 25$ so for an overall of 75$ for 1 month? or is it even possbile to book the $25 Monthly Plan + 25$ Data package (1 gig) ? It's a bit hard to understand. Request for Clarification. Thx

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

Hello @robinlangner , @hnzw_rui is partly correct. When using a smartphone for prepaid service an additional data plan is required. However, iPhones are not eligible for prepaid service and 4G devices are unable to use GoPhone data services. Nokia Lumia is a 4G device. 

Thank you,

ATTJulieCS

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

@robinlangner wrote:
Hey since I read the new tariff structure, I want to know if its still possible to obtain a data package for my florida vacation as an non US resident as prepaid. Im only interested in mobile data with my smartphone. I already bought a AT&T Sim Card which isnt activated yet Do I understand it right, that if I order the $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan ALL data is included? I want to use the data with my iphone or nokia lumina only. or do I have to book another 25$ so for an overall of 75$ for 1 month? or is it even possbile to book the $25 Monthly Plan + 25$ Data package (1 gig) ? It's a bit hard to understand. Request for Clarification. Thx

Since you're using a smartphone, the unlimited data on the $50 monthly plan won't work. You'll need to buy a separate data package which brings up the total to $75. If you won't be making a lot of calls, I suggest you get the $25 monthly plan + $25/1GB data package instead.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Hi hnzw_rul,

thanks for this hint: "If you won't be making a lot of calls, I suggest you get the $25 monthly plan + $25/1GB data package instead."

The issue of the thread opener applies to me as well. I have a phone already (iPhone 4S, not simlocked, but from Germany, not from AT&T) and would like to have just a data plan (1 GB would perfect for one month) plus being able to make and receive calls, bot national as well as international. So the "25$ + 25$" bundle seems perfect. The only question is: "Does AT&T accept foreign iPhones on their network?" A couple of weeks ago I read of lot of internet forum entries that it is almost impossible to convince the guys in the AT&T shops to sell such a usage plan to foreign iPhone users.

Any newer info here? Thanks a lot!! for help.

Regards

Jochen

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

The iPhone will work as long as it's unlocked. You also have to load a data APN somehow to get data. As I understand it even you with a foreign iphone are going to be able to pull down the AT&T carrier profile. Which unfortunately is not going to be correct for go phone, and then it further complicates the issue by hiding that particular menu.  If you want MMS to work that's going to be a whole nother problem, we can point you towards some help with that.

{link removed per guidelines}

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

@ATTJulieCS wrote:

@hello @robinlangner , @hnzw_rui is partly correct. When using a smartphone for prepaid service an additional data plan is required. However, iPhones are not eligible for prepaid service and 4G devices are unable to use GoPhone data services. Nokia Lumia is a 4G device. 

Thank you,

ATTJulieCS

I know you work for AT&T but if you read the Wireless Service Agreement for GoPhone, there's nothing specifically preventing the use of the iPhone (which is a smartphone) with AT&T GoPhone service. I realize AT&T frowns upon the use of iPhones with prepaid and while AT&T can choose not to help customers with unlocked iPhones get it working with prepaid service   [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Its funny that you say this.

AT&T along with Microsoft gave 1400 Seton hall college students free Nokia lumia 900 phones with perpaid plans two months after ATTJulisCS posted this

"The program, believed to be one of the first of its kind in the nation, will provide undergraduates on the South Orange campus with a Nokia Lumia 900 smartphone and a pre-paid AT&T cell phone plan."

Heres a link to the acticle http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/smartphones_at_school_seton_ha.html

So the Nokia Lumia 900 can indeed be used on a prepaid plan

Im sure you would have to get the extra data package

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

I would checkout Wallmart's sim options for traveling inside USA, thou the advantage with AT&T are wifi areas since your using an iPhone - I use VoIP over wifi on my prepaid plan since AT&T only gives 250min

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

Agreed with the previous message! StraightTalk uses AT&T's network so you get the same access but its a helluva lot cheaper. 

Unlimited minutes and domestic texts (if you're going to text friends back in Europe; use WhatsApp instead of the built-in iPhone texter) and up to 2GB data per month for only 45.00!!  StraightTalk works with unlocked iPhones and isnt' subject to AT&T's ridiculous "no prepaid for iPhone" policy.  

You will need to download a custom apn profile for your phone to get the data working while you're here in the States and you can do this without jailbreaking.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.