Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
jariko's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 15th, 2013 7:42 PM

Go phone micro sim/sim card questions. help for a new person.

Ok so I'm new to this but I have some questions.

Do I need a gophone specific att sim card? or just an att sim card to use on gophone?

Also I was looking at getting a nokia lumia 820 to bring as my own device to put on the $25 smartphone plan will this work? also would it have to be an unlocked phone or would an att "locked" one work?

also if I do this I will need a micro sim card for it, wich links back in with my first question. can I go to an att store and just pickup a gophone micro sim card? I also know I can get sim cards cheaply online but I haven't really seen a gophone specific micro sim card when I looked. I also know I could cut a normal sized gophone sim but I would assume I wouldn't need to do that right? also I don't know if it would be allowed.

any help would be greatly appreciated, also any extra info about any of this that you would think I might need to know would be good. thankyou in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jariko wrote:
Thank you, your post has helped me quite a bit. if you happen to see this, any info about if that microsim you ordered worked or not would be great, Thanks again, well gonna see what the local ATT store has info wise, last time I called they where next to useless in answering what I needed to know, might check another store or go in person to the one I called.

Hey jariko! I'm getting back to you on the prepaid microSIM activation.

I received it in the mail and went to the GoPhone activation page to activate a new phone. I entered the microSIM card number into the system and then proceeded to enter the iPhone's IMEI number. Instead of entering the actual IMEI, I entered all zeros. There were a total of 15 zeros. I then entered all additional information and voila! It works! 

So, you do not need a "GoPhone specific" microSIM to use in your phone. A regular postpaid service one will work just fine. 

Good luck! 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

I can only answer you one question,If your Nokia lumia 820 from AT&T,it will work with Gophone.

You do not need to get it unlocked.

But if your phone are from some other network like T mobile ,you need to get it unlocked before you can joint AT&T. 

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jariko wrote:

Ok so I'm new to this but I have some questions.

Do I need a gophone specific att sim card? or just an att sim card to use on gophone?

Also I was looking at getting a nokia lumia 820 to bring as my own device to put on the $25 smartphone plan will this work? also would it have to be an unlocked phone or would an att "locked" one work?

also if I do this I will need a micro sim card for it, wich links back in with my first question. can I go to an att store and just pickup a gophone micro sim card? I also know I can get sim cards cheaply online but I haven't really seen a gophone specific micro sim card when I looked. I also know I could cut a normal sized gophone sim but I would assume I wouldn't need to do that right? also I don't know if it would be allowed.

any help would be greatly appreciated, also any extra info about any of this that you would think I might need to know would be good. thankyou in advance.

You can use a Lumia 820. It can be unlocked or locked to AT&T. It doesn't matter. 

You actually do bring up a good point about the prepaid-specific microSIM card dilemma. I actually just ordered an AT&T microSIM card off of Amazon yesterday for a family member, but I forgot to pay close attention to see if it was prepaid GoPhone-specific or not. It will be interesting to see if it works when I try to activate it when it arrives. I would think that it should work. I think users here have stated that they went to an AT&T store to purchase a contract service microSIM and it was able to work with their GoPhone plans, so I would go ahead and give it a try. If possible, I would ask if they have microSIMs that are specially made for GoPhones. 

I cut my regular sized SIM into a microSIM last year and it has been great. You shouldn't need to do that, though, as getting a microSIM would be easier and quicker. It is allowed, just for the record. 

Hope this helps! Good luck! 

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, your post has helped me quite a bit. if you happen to see this, any info about if that microsim you ordered worked or not would be great, Thanks again, well gonna see what the local ATT store has info wise, last time I called they where next to useless in answering what I needed to know, might check another store or go in person to the one I called.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Do what you need to do. Sometimes it doesn't always work the first time.

You are more than welcome! The microSIM should be here within the next couple of days. I will activate it and be sure to let you know if it works.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thankyou very much for taking the time to post all of this 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

You're welcome! 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.