Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Jess3883's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 12th, 2011 11:24 PM

Can I transfer sim card to new phone?

Right now I have the prepaid at&t Samsung magnet phone, and I've had it for awhile so I'm wanting to upgrade to a newer phone. I've been looking at unlocked at&t phones and others and wanted to know if I bought a new prepaid at&t phone or an unlocked at&t phone if I could transfer my sim card from my current phone to the new phone and key my number and airtime. I want to stay with a prepaid phone, but I'm not sure if I can just put my sim card into a new phone or even an unlocked phone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Oh, I see that those are both unlocked AT&T phones...sorry, my mistake. I thought that maybe you had been talking about using an unlocked phone from T-Mobile and such. 😛

You have made some good choices. 😉 Either or would work, as they are both AT&T branded and are specific to the carrier. You should just be able to switch your SIM card from your Magnet into your Eternity/Prime, and begin using the service like how it was, only in a different phone.

You should be able to get 3G service with either, also. What EDGE is, is 2G service, which is ultimately slower than 3G is. I had assumed that because most unlocked phones from T-Mobile don't have the appropriate 3G frequencies to operate on AT&T, thus getting EDGE/2G only. You should be able to get 3G with an Eternity/Prime. 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

You definitely can transfer your prepaid SIM card into an AT&T phone and use it on prepaid, whether it be a regular flip phone or a more advanced phone such as a smartphone. As for transferring your SIM to an unlocked phone, that may not work. You may get some type of SIM card error. If it were to work, you would most likely only be able to get EDGE service, anyway.

Did you have any AT&T/unlocked phone choices in mind?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I was looking at the Samsung Eternity A867, since it was unlocked, but I did find the Samsung Eternity II, in a prepaid version online, but I prefer the first versions look over the second.

All I use my phone for is texting, calling. I don't surf the web, ect. But I would like a decent phone for once that doesn't look cheap.

Can you explain to me what Edge service is though?

I'm trying to stick to prepaid phones right now, and if my SIM wouldn't work with an unlocked phone I guess I would choose the samsung eternity II or the LG Prime

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Just wanted to ask quickly also before I decide to order a new phone, that since it's an unlocked phone when I put my SIM card in it'll be just like my old phone is being prepaid? Not sure if the prepaid portion is programmed into the SIM card itself.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Your SIM card will always be prepaid, unless you were to get a different type such as a postpaid SIM. SIM cards do come in different service varieties. If you were to put your SIM card into an unlocked Eternity, it will be prepaid, just like your Magnet was.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Same kinda question here. I have an active go phone can I swap to another phone it is a smart phone though and it used to be straight talk? My go phone is the LG z222? The other phone is also an LG device. I'm not sure the other LG even takes a Sims card though? So bc it's a smart phone and my current one isn't. Could it work still?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi Yerian,

As long as the Straight Talk smartphone has been unlocked (although Straight Talk phones do operate on AT&T's GSM network), and it has a SIM card slot, you shouldn't have any problem transferring over your current SIM into the newer phone. Most Android phones have the SIM card slot located behind the battery cover, provided that the phone has a removable battery. All you need to do is slide your SIM in, see if it works, and if it does, excellent! You may have trouble using data services depending on your rate plan, but if you're not interested in using mobile data, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have just purhased an unlocked Samsung Note 3 to replacea Samsung Galaxy Centura. Both are unlocked and operate on Tracfone.  Can I take the sim card out of the old phone and place it in the new phone?  If so, how do I remove it??

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Remove the back of the phone, and insert a micro SIM card.  (See picture)

If your current phone has a smaller SIM card, you need to buy an adapter or get a new SIM card.

BTW...the Centura is a CDMA phone, (Verizon). If you are using Verizon CDMA, the ATT phone has no CDMA bands and cannot work.  

image.jpeg

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I just bought a Z222 "go phone" for At&t network with a sim card. If I take out that sim card and put in my own sim card that uses a different at&t service/network (not "go phone"), will it work or will the phone block my sim card?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.