Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
mah123's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, August 27th, 2017 3:29 PM

Added Money for Minutes, Plan Auto Renew Didn't Work

NOTE: I POSTED THIS EARLIER THIS MORNING, AND IT DISAPPEARED FROM THE BOARD, SO I'M REPOSTING

For years I've had a Nokia Lumia 635 with $40 auto-renew plan with 500 minutes and unlimited data and text.

I ran out of talk minutes in the previous month of my plan, so I went to my online prepaid account and added $10. I did this one time before with no problems. This time, every time I made or received a call for the rest of that month, it sent me a message telling me it deducted 10 cents for every minute.

BUT this time, when my monthly plan auto-renewed Aug. 25 (which it confirmed by the usual text messages), it added $40 to my account online instead of renewing the plan, and continued taking 10 cents out every time I use talk for a minute. Online it says my plan expired Aug. 26.

I also just got a message today on the Internet Explorer app that "AT&T Free Msg: It looks like you want to use data but have none available. You may need to add a data package, refill to use pay-per-use data or change to a plan that supports data. To check your plan and manage your account, start at att.com/myprepaid. If you just made a payment for your monthly plan with data, power your device off and back on, then try again." I restarted to no avail, and also took out the battery and it didn't help.

It's like the phone/service doesn't recognize that the monthly plan renewed, and it should go back to normal instead of deducting money each time I talk. It should also give me unlimited data and text.

HELP! I don't want to have to make a long call to support and burn through the money it keeps deducting in error.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

If you switch from a monthly plan to pay per use, you have to switch back to monthly 

FYI the current $45 plan with $5 auto pay credit has unlimited talk and text and 6 gigs of data.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

By adding $10 to my account, did it switch it to pay-per-use? I did that before, and it didn't cancel my plan, it just gave me extra money for talk minutes until the plan successfully auto-renewed at the end of that month.

I got three text messages that my plan successfully auto renewed. But online it added the $40 to my account instead of renewing the plan. It still says a I have a $40 monthly plan above that.

And if I reactivate a plan, does the remainder of that $40 ($36.71) get lost when it expires?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

That's beyond My knowledge base....call ATT so you don't lose any money.   

There have been changes to prepaid, including the name.  It isn't supposed to effect plans, but, well, it's ATT and stuff happens.  🙄

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

You have a very old plan. Since it is based on minutes, it sounds like your plan allows you to pay by the minute if all minutes get used, so adding the $10 should not have caused your plan to change. As for whether your plan did or did not renew, I think your only option is to call. Sounds like something went wrong with the renewal.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks lizdance40 and sandblaster. I'm just worried they're gonna put me on hold a lot and 10 cents a minutes goes by fast.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Dial 611 from your phone. I think that is a free call even for prepaid.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Just tried 611, and all it said was my plan expired, and said to renew or pick a different plan. When I pressed 0 for assistance, it said to try again later (it says online that, that number works 9am-7pm local time on Sundays). I'm in Pacific time zone, so unless they're based in Hawaii or Alaska, they should be open for business by now!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I tried 611 and the other number listed on the website to call for help, and both were useless. No human access, maybe because it says my account expired. So I went to pick another plan online and it applied the money in my account that was supposed to be for the previous plan and put it towards the new plan. Problem solved, though I still lost a few dollars from it deducting for minutes the past ~two days.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.