Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 6:31 AM

About a million GoPhone questions.

My apologies if these questions have been answered a bunch already, I did search around the forums a bit but what I found wasn't a ton of help to me specifically. 

I'm looking to start the monthly $25 GoPhone service (250 minutes and unlimited text). I don't really like any of the phones the website offers and there isn't an AT&T store very nearby. Would I be able to buy an AT&T phone from say Amazon or Ebay and activate it as a GoPhone? If so, does it have to be unlocked? Also, are there different types of GoPhone sim cards and would I need a specific one? 

Would I be billed monthly for this "plan"? I read somewhere about adding minutes or money or something like that to my account. If that's the case, would I be able to just buy a $25 card at the end of each month, or do they have to be purchased in advance? 

How exactly does the wifi work? Would I be able to connect to it without purchasing a data plan? Also, would I only be able to connect to AT&T specified wifi hot spots? 

That may just be the last of my questions. Again, my apologies for the lengthy post. And thank you in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

12 years ago

Q) Would I be able to buy an AT&T phone from say Amazon or Ebay and activate it as a GoPhone? If so, does it have to be unlocked?

A) If the seller on Ebay or Amazon say it's an AT&T phone,it will be a locked phone.Only AT&T SIM will work in that phone.

Q)Would I be able to just buy a $25 card at the end of each month, or do they have to be purchased in advance?

A) I will suggest you better purchase in advance, if you got time to look through the post in here,you will see some states got E911 fees and sales tax added on your $25 per month.

Q)

How exactly does the wifi work? Would I be able to connect to it without purchasing a data plan? 

A) It's very much depends where you go to. Most Hotels and coffee shops in US had their own wifi.network You don't need to be an AT&T customer to use them. Even if it is an AT&T wifi hotsports, you can still sign in as a guest,but only you got a limited time(15 mins to 30 mins) to go online.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

12 years ago

Hi,

Q) The phone DOESN'T have to be unlocked, as long as it's AT&T?
A)  Yes, but read the seller's small print on ebay ...etc. If it is a locked AT&T phone, the sell price will be less.

Most phones sell on ebay..etc  are "  unlocked."

Q )If I get an AT&T GoPhone with wireless capabilities, I'll be able to connect to any wifi , even my own house, without a data plan?

A) Correct Smiley Happy

Q) I have to put like 40 bucks on my account and let it pull from that?

A) On the safe side, Yes!! You never know when all this extra charge will come in.Smiley Sad

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Thank you! So the phone DOESN'T have to be unlocked, as long as it's AT&T? And will the taxes and various charges be added when I purchase the 25$ card or whatever, or will I have to put like 40 bucks on my account and let it pull from that? And even if I get an AT&T GoPhone with wireless capabilities, I'll be able to connect to any wifi , even my own house, without a data plan?
I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly rolling in money over here and I want to be absolutely certain about these things before I purchase anything.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you! So the phone DOESN'T have to be unlocked, as long as it's AT&T? And will the taxes and various charges be added when I purchase the 25$ card or whatever, or will I have to put like 40 bucks on my account and let it pull from that? And even if I get an AT&T GoPhone with wireless capabilities, I'll be able to connect to any wifi , even my own house, without a data plan?
I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly rolling in money over here and I want to be absolutely certain about these things before I purchase anything.

You can't go wrong with an AT&T prepaidSmiley Happy

How's AT&T signal coverage in your area?

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION. You have just saved the day, my friend. Time to shop for a nice AT&T phone. 🙂

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

12 years ago

Hi ilikewireless,

How's AT&T signal coverage in your area??

As you know, I am roaming in Canada now. Smiley Tongue

Last month I've done a 5,000 miles driving ,going passed  5 differnt states (MT,ND,SD,MN,IA) 

With my AT&T phone, Ipad with Data,also a US backup phone on a different network,and my Canadian phone on Roaming

AT&T coverage are very well in MT,SD,ND after they brought out Alltel, most highway got good coverage.

A few AT&T blind spots do found in MN with no coverage.

In IA, the university area, only AT&T got full and reasonable signal, "X MOB" got no coverage in lots of area in IA.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

I'll answer the same question, haha.
According to the coverage map, it looks to be pretty solid. Friends say they get decent service here but as I've never had an AT&T phone myself, I can't personally vouch.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@adidaskid808 wrote:

Hi ilikewireless,

How's AT&T signal coverage in your area??

As you know, I am roaming in Canada now. Smiley Tongue

Last month I've done a 5,000 miles driving ,going passed  5 differnt states (MT,ND,SD,MN,IA) 

With my AT&T phone, Ipad with Data,also a US backup phone on a different network,and my Canadian phone on Roaming

AT&T coverage are very well in MT,SD,ND after they brought out Alltel, most highway got good coverage.

A few AT&T blind spots do found in MN with no coverage.

In IA, the university area, only AT&T got full and reasonable signal, "X MOB" got no coverage in lots of area in IA.

Thanks for posting an excellent report card Smiley Happy

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:
I'll answer the same question, haha.
According to the coverage map, it looks to be pretty solid. Friends say they get decent service here but as I've never had an AT&T phone myself, I can't personally vouch.

Thanks for the post back.Smiley Happy What county is it?

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

ilikewireless, I'm in Upstate New York, Fulton County specifically.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.