Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
stew_coil's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 7:21 PM

AT&T Free Msg

Why do I receive messages about changes to my account via text? Why does it say "AT&T Free Msg"? What exactly does that mean??? Are they getting to send the message for free on their end or something? Why would I care if it's free for them? I know I get charged since it deducts from my pre-paid minutes before I even see the message.

I tried removing my phone numbers from my profile because it says by entering numbers you agree to be bothered by them. It says the fields are blank and can't be saved, but I don't agree to them bothering me anymore (especially since I get charged for them to bother me), so how do I remove the numbers?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

Free means it's free for you (even on plans that don't include free messaging). You could either try replying to the message with STOP or calling customer service and asking them to stop.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I received a "AT&T Free Msg" regarding my "new smartphone I purchased" and "to contact att.att.com for more info" on Sunday June 8th. I did not purchase a new smartphone, nor did my daughter who is also on my account.

I contacted ATT (611) afraid my info had been hijacked and someone else was using my account. The fraud department said no activity was found on my account, shared data plan or phone purchase.

I now have a numerical passcode I must use to further protect my account. One more thing I have to remember because someone is phishing me to install malware or get my personal info if I were to respond to this email.

The fraud department also did not see that this particular text message was sent to me. The subsequent text  message from the fraud department started with "Free AT&T Msg". Note the subtle difference in the wording.

I did not click on the link provided either. I believe it is a phishing scam or worse. Has anyone else besides my daughter, experienced this message?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.