Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Appleetree7's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 22nd, 2011 9:08 PM

Help with service area error?

For the past couple days I haven't been able to send messages or calls, I keep getting the error message that there is no service area and I can only make emergency calls. So how do I fix this? Is there some setting that has accidentally been changed?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

Have you turned your phone off for a little while and then back on?  Many times that will correct connectivity type errors. 

Outside of that, if you are in the exact location as you previously were, then it sounds like at&t is doing some work or there is an outtage in your immediate area - I would contact them and report it.  If you are physically in a different location than you were the last time you had service, could it be that at&t's coverage in the area is provided by partner roaming agreements?  If so, at&t's prepaid customers generally don't have access to roaming coverage.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Turning it off and then on helped, thanks a lot!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome - I'm happy to hear that took care of it! 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Our new GO phone only has local coverage (i.e. Within the city limits) when I travel to other city's, which are in the local dialing area, I get the message "emergency calls only" what is wrong with AT&Ts service?

Example:

When dialing from Los Alamos or Pojaque I received the message "emergency calls only" and then when redialing blocks from my house in Santa Fe my call goes through. 

On an unrelated note, we have no network coverage at our house just 5 blocks from downtown Santa Fe.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@fdevendorf wrote:

Our new GO phone only has local coverage (i.e. Within the city limits) when I travel to other city's, which are in the local dialing area, I get the message "emergency calls only" what is wrong with AT&Ts service?

Example:

When dialing from Los Alamos or Pojaque I received the message "emergency calls only" and then when redialing blocks from my house in Santa Fe my call goes through. 

On an unrelated note, we have no network coverage at our house just 5 blocks from downtown Santa Fe.

Unfortunately if you take a look at the coverage viewer maps (from the link at the top of this page) for GoPhone coverage in both Los Alamos and Santa Fe, NM there is a pretty large coverage difference between the two; and carrier coverage maps tend to be generous in their ratings of coverage at best. 

The area around Los Alamos indicates much of the coverage is by the 3G network only (if that interpretation of the map legend is accurate), so if you aren't using a 3G device you presumably won't get service.  Also even in the areas that appear to be covered by 2G service, the map indicates it is only "moderate" with significant areas of "no coverage". Very little of the coverage in this area is rated as "good" even by at&t; whereas with Santa Fe, the coverage is principally indicated as being "best" and "good".

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

@hme83 wrote:

@fdevendorf wrote:

Example:

Unfortunately if you take a look at the coverage viewer maps (from the link at the top of this page) for GoPhone coverage in both Los Alamos and Santa Fe, NM there is a pretty large coverage difference between the two; and carrier coverage maps tend to be generous in their ratings of coverage at best. 

The area around Los Alamos indicates much of the coverage is by the 3G network only (if that interpretation of the map legend is accurate), so if you aren't using a 3G device you presumably won't get service.  Also even in the areas that appear to be covered by 2G service, the map indicates it is only "moderate" with significant areas of "no coverage". Very little of the coverage in this area is rated as "good" even by at&t; whereas with Santa Fe, the coverage is principally indicated as being "best" and "good".

So your saying because I only need and want basic voice service I can't get it.  How do I get my money back?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

If you purchased your phone directly from at&t, you can return it to an at&t Corporate store. Third party retailers have their own return policy - you'd have to check with them if you didn't purchase from at&t. You cannot get a refund for any unused credit on your GoPhone account.

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

@fdevendorf wrote:

So your saying because I only need and want basic voice service I can't get it.  How do I get my money back?

Nope. He's saying you need a 3G capable device in order to get service. There are several non-smartphones that have AT&T 3G support. You don't need to get a smartphone for 3G.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@hnzw_rui wrote:

@fdevendorf wrote:

Nope. He's saying you need a 3G capable device in order to get service. There are several non-smartphones that have AT&T 3G support. You don't need to get a smartphone for 3G.

Depending on the exact locations the OP is having issues, having a 3G capable device certainly may help.  But in that particular area there is a substantial amount of territory that is simply "no coverage" or "moderate".  Personally, I wouldn't expect to get much service if the carrier is rating it as only "moderate" - as carrier coverage maps tend to be generous. 😞  They are mathematical approximations and testing measurements are taken at a certain height from the ground - so they rarely are all that accurate in terms of the actual coverage a user on the ground/in buildings, etc. will see.

New Mexico (and Arizona) are good examples of states where at&t's native network footprint is primarily along the interstate corridors - once you venture very far from major interstates, prepaid customers will tend to have coverage issues.  In New Mexico the entire eastern half of the state to the Texas border, at&t's coverage is primarily provided by a partner network (some at&t prepaid coverage south of I-40, none north).

So I'm actually saying if at&t's prepaid coverage doesn't suit your needs, I'd return the equipment and try an alternate provider.  If you look at the coverage map and it appears that having a 3G device could take care of the issue to a large enough degree to make it worthwhile to give it a try (and you don't already use a 3G device), then returning/exchanging the phone for a 3G capable model is certainly an option too.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you.  I will look into affordable alternatives and do more research on my end.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.