For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Nash77's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, June 9th, 2017 6:06 PM

moving from comcast to AT&T

Hello,

Currently I have Comcast high speed internet.

My question is:

1-Can I use my personal existing cable modem, and wireless routers, I have 2 of them and works as expected, also I have cable to the second floor attached to another router.

2-I see there is limit 1 TB data on $40 a month, if I stream online TV how many hours I can do that without exceeding the limit.

3-I really had bad experience with AT&T in the past when I had phone service, "no company can be trusted anyway", however,

AT&T doesn’t offer month to month, I don’t want to have one year contract with something may not work as good as my current Comcast. does AT&T offer 30 day money back in case I don't like the service?

4-What time frame speed faster than other on daily basis (Brentwood TN area) ?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

1) Cannot use existing DOCSIS cable modem on AT&T.  Need an AT&T-provided VDSL2/ADSL2+ capable gateway.  Any wireless router you connect to that should still be usable, but may require a bit of configuration.

2) Depends on your video quality.  a 6 Mbps (Megabit per second) HD video stream consume about 2.7 GB per hour.  A SD stream about a third of that.  A 4K stream, a lot more than that.

3) Your experience will vary depending on your location, your distance from the nearest AT&T facilities, the conditions of the lines between that and your home, sources of RFI in your area, the employees that you interact with,etc.

I've had good experience with my AT&T service.  I get a little more bandwidth that the nominal amount I pay for, and I get it consistently, and the connection stays up.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for your reply,

Looks they have to install new wires, I have cable from the pole to my house (no phone lines), also looks getting DSL,

I don't know how much data we have right now, but I know we use Skypee with video for hours almost every day.

Now new questions:

1-Can I buy my own VDSL2/ADSL2 ? I don't want to use any ISP device.

2-Is public IP address static or Dynamic? sure I like dynamic.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

1) No.  At this point, AT&T provides them for a monthly fee.  They provide no other option.

2) It's technically dynamic, but it rarely changes.  You probably should think of it as static for all practical purposes.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I hope you didn't go to att the internet is so slow that can't handle hbo go or anything streaming not even a mobile game.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Nope, when did my search on the net and asked some friends, I found AT&T still hiding under the rock, with all new technology going around the world with same greed :),  I will stay with Comcast with 75-85 Mbps , AT&T offer 18 Mbps with Fibre Optic in my area with same price, I know that when AT&T lady stopped in my last few weeks ago!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.