Explore & discover

Helpful Links

moving from comcast to AT&T

Contributor

moving from comcast to AT&T

Hello,

Currently I have Comcast high speed internet.

My question is:

1-Can I use my personal existing cable modem, and wireless routers, I have 2 of them and works as expected, also I have cable to the second floor attached to another router.

2-I see there is limit 1 TB data on $40 a month, if I stream online TV how many hours I can do that without exceeding the limit.

3-I really had bad experience with AT&T in the past when I had phone service, "no company can be trusted anyway", however,

AT&T doesn’t offer month to month, I don’t want to have one year contract with something may not work as good as my current Comcast. does AT&T offer 30 day money back in case I don't like the service?

4-What time frame speed faster than other on daily basis (Brentwood TN area) ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎06-09-2017 12:09 PM

Re: moving from comcast to AT&T

1) Cannot use existing DOCSIS cable modem on AT&T.  Need an AT&T-provided VDSL2/ADSL2+ capable gateway.  Any wireless router you connect to that should still be usable, but may require a bit of configuration.

2) Depends on your video quality.  a 6 Mbps (Megabit per second) HD video stream consume about 2.7 GB per hour.  A SD stream about a third of that.  A 4K stream, a lot more than that.

3) Your experience will vary depending on your location, your distance from the nearest AT&T facilities, the conditions of the lines between that and your home, sources of RFI in your area, the employees that you interact with,etc.

I've had good experience with my AT&T service.  I get a little more bandwidth that the nominal amount I pay for, and I get it consistently, and the connection stays up.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Thank you for your reply,

Looks they have to install new wires, I have cable from the pole to my house (no phone lines), also looks getting DSL,

I don't know how much data we have right now, but I know we use Skypee with video for hours almost every day.

Now new questions:

1-Can I buy my own VDSL2/ADSL2 ? I don't want to use any ISP device.

2-Is public IP address static or Dynamic? sure I like dynamic.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

1) No.  At this point, AT&T provides them for a monthly fee.  They provide no other option.

2) It's technically dynamic, but it rarely changes.  You probably should think of it as static for all practical purposes.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Tutor

I hope you didn't go to att the internet is so slow that can't handle hbo go or anything streaming not even a mobile game.
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

Nope, when did my search on the net and asked some friends, I found AT&T still hiding under the rock, with all new technology going around the world with same greed Smiley Happy,  I will stay with Comcast with 75-85 Mbps , AT&T offer 18 Mbps with Fibre Optic in my area with same price, I know that when AT&T lady stopped in my last few weeks ago!

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support